Premed 101 Forums

Taking 3rd and 4th year courses

I got a question about UofT's weighted GPA formula. On their website, it says that in order to be eligible, atleast 60% of courses in a semester must correspond to the year of study.

But what about taking 3rd year courses in 4th year? For example, if, in my 4th year 2nd semester, I take:

two 4th year courses

two 3rd year courses

2nd year course,

Will I be ineligible for the wGPA? Part of the reason I'm asking is that in my school, and alot of other smaller universities, there are limited number of 4th year courses that students can take.

I got a question about UofT's weighted GPA formula. On their website, it says that in order to be eligible, atleast 60% of courses in a semester must correspond to the year of study.

But what about taking 3rd year courses in 4th year? For example, if, in my 4th year 2nd semester, I take:

two 4th year courses

two 3rd year courses

2nd year course,

Will I be ineligible for the wGPA? Part of the reason I'm asking is that in my school, and alot of other smaller universities, there are limited number of 4th year courses that students can take.

Is that a new change? Which website is that on? Schools and their sneaky changes :) - although I am not actually sure what you are saying regarding any 60/40 is actually a rule

Only thing the site said in the FAQ was:

The weighting formula is a method of GPA calculation eliminating some lower course marks. It is in place to encourage applicants to pursue rigourous and advanced coursework without penalty. It is applied only for applicants who have taken a full course load of five full-year courses (or the equivalent) each year in the regular academic session, and who have at least three completed years at the time of application.

The Admissions Office will recalculate the GPA, eliminating the applicable number of marks. Briefly, a student with three completed years may drop the three lowest full-year course marks, or six lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof. A student applying with four completed years may drop the four lowest full-year course marks, or eight lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof.

On the blog, someone asked:

Q:"Would you require 60% of fourth year courses in the final year of the second degree or would a majority of third year courses be acceptable ? I am wondering this as my chosen program doesn’t require me to complete any mandatory fourth year courses for earning the second degree."

A: "No. We never require 60% fourth year courses in the final year. We expect to see 60% senior level courses in the final year. This would include both third and fourth year courses. Many programs require only one or two fourth year courses for a degree."

So its not about third year vs. fourth year courses. It is about senior courses in senior years with both 3rd and 4th year counting as senior courses. You're fine! :)

http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/how-to-read-our-website/

For anyone else wondering:

"Having less than 60% of the courses correspond to the year of study will not invalidate the application. The main requirement of the Admissions Office is that a candidate is fulfilling their degree requirements. Although no preference is given to program of study, a student’s choices within their given program may be used as an evaluation factor. Examples of aspects examined may be one or all of the following (as applicable):

· Progression from lower level of courses to more advanced ones

· Progression from a general course of study to a more specialized one

· Pursuing an interest in a field of study outside the chosen major ."

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm#eligibility

Archived