Premed 101 Forums

Prep Material Suggestions

Hey guys,

I am looking for some suggestions from those who've successfully completed their Canadian DAT.

I am planning to take the exam in November and so far looking through all the prep material suggestion threads, it seems like I will be using Kaplan book and IQ publications for RC & PAT for sure.

Do you guys think this is good enough for doing well on DAT or do you recommend also buying additional stuff like Crack DAT PAT and TOP Score? How useful are these (worth buying)?

Thanks so much in advance. Appreciate all the help!

depends how good you are at PAT. How much knowledge u have of basic chem/higher and lower bio.

But imo, that should be good enough to get 20+s on all sections depending on how u study.

I did those plus a few extra PAT Qs and i got 22 AA, 25 PAT, 20 RC, and 29 carving. carving is a little different thoguh. i dont know if youre writing the carving section either though

hey, thanks a lot for the reply Zap :)

I think I'm pretty strong in sciences.. it's just PAT that worries me since I've never done this kind of stuff before..

oh okay so kaplan + IQ pubs combination, if you study effectively, gets you at least 20+ then I think I'll just stick with that.. and probably buy top score for extra practice (and avoid buying Crack DAT PAT).. that should cover pretty much everything w/ practice

just another quick Q though, low 20's is usually good enough for dental schools, right? I am an ON resident and aiming for UofT or Western (so I won't be writing the manual dex section at all esp now that it's optional!)

thanks again for all the info and help!

depends how good you are at PAT. How much knowledge u have of basic chem/higher and lower bio.

But imo, that should be good enough to get 20+s on all sections depending on how u study.

I did those plus a few extra PAT Qs and i got 22 AA, 25 PAT, 20 RC, and 29 carving. carving is a little different thoguh. i dont know if youre writing the carving section either though

thanks again Zap!

best 3 yrs - 3.94

best 2 yrs - 3.95

so I think what you said should be ok

depends on your GPA right?

But if your GPA is around average, 3.9 for UofT, 89% for UWO. Then low 20s should be good enough. Although PAT for U of T should be 22+ imo. But again depends on your GPA

lol of course ideally I'd love 30 on everything =P but not a good test taker =S still, your point well noted :)

btw, achiever seems more geared towards American DATs.. are they equally effective for the CDN version? Thanks!

I would recommend topscore and achiever, but not crack the dat pat (too expensive, too sucky)

Chad's videos are also very good.

Just because you have high GPA doesn't mean you shouldn't aim for 23+ =P

I agree, but I found the PAT similar. but thats imo. ive heard great things about CDP. But it is expensive. (plus its all computerized)-which the cdn DAT is not

I felt that the IQ publications for the PAT section are WAY to easy and no where near representative of the real DAT. I found Crack DAT PAT to be much more useful.

Also, I think with problem is IQ publications in general is that nothing has been updated for the past 10+ years.

I would highly recommend CDP. Although it is computerized, for PAT timing was often an issue and CDP can help you with better timing yourself to complete the section. Also, having used both IQ and CDP, i found CDP to be more representative of the actual test. IQ has mistakes in some of their tests also but all in all, i would still recommend doing both if u have the time and money...if i had to choose one or the other, it'd be CDP.

good luck

Archived