Premed 101 Forums

BC Medical Association wants to ban MMA events

Mithril

True - but we have a whole lot of laws that override things people being able to decide things health wise. Like it or not you have to wear a seat belt, and a helmet on a motorcycle I guess are the standard examples. I am not saying we should ban the sport, but knowing the consequences isn't enough of a justification for all risky things :)

I didn't think of it that way :o

Lets see, chances of dying without seat belt in a car crash is pretty much 100% Chances of dying from a knockout/submission from MMA is pretty close to 0. I believe there has been only one death due to severe ass kicking in whole MMA history.

Seat belts saves many lives there is no question about that. If seat belts weren't mandatory, then many people would get hurt. If MMA is banned it wouldn't make much of a difference if not MMA then boxing or Karate or other sports that can potentially be dangerous. After all, they're meant for killin'

Banning the sport based on such an isolated incident is way too extreme. An alternative may be to adjust the healthcare policy such that people who knowingly enter into life threatening situations get reduced health coverage. This preserves the rights of the person while also satisfying the other side to some extent.

I'm not even going to start on that though- there are way way way too many things that would have to be adjusted if such a policy were ever implemented. The arguing alone would take a century to resolve.

You cannot have universal health care than then expect the government not to take an interest in things that potentially impact the health of the population as a whole.

Why not ban smoking then? :D

Going after the tobacco industry for healthcare costs incurred is akin to opening the barn door after the fire has already killed the animals. And collecting taxes on tobacco products is aiding and abetting in the conspiracy to destroy the health of our citizens whom our governments are meant to protect.

Why not ban smoking then? :D

Going after the tobacco industry for healthcare costs incurred is akin to opening the barn door after the fire has already killed the animals. And collecting taxes on tobacco products is aiding and abetting in the conspiracy to destroy the health of our citizens whom our governments are meant to protect.

Because the medical profession knows that you cannot win that way - it is a form of prohibition and we know that approach just doesn't work - and when it fails you can never try anything like it again (you won't have the political capital anymore). You have to move progressively in small steps in order to conquer a problem that big - and that is exactly what they have been doing over the last 20 years :)

banning mma just opens the door to banning anything, what sport doesn't have the potential for severe injury at the professional level? even in baseball you have pitchers hurling fastballs at your head... what about auto racing... f1 and nascar seem like they could be potentially very dangerous... i got a severe laceration curling, for real, head onto the rock... i was almost blinded, i don't think many people are calling to ban curling, lol

the medical association serve their purpose and mind their own business.

sure, if you want me to... f1 and other forms of auto racing, hockey, pro football, boxing, kickboxing, high speed sports such as skiing, aerial winter sports (half pipe, big air jumps etc), pro skateboarding... etc. all have high incidences of severe injury

I hate when people play the technical game. Please don't compare the MMA to a game of baseball. You are technically right, but the incidence of major injuries don't compare. The MMA defines violence, and needs major revisions in its rules and regulations.

Archived