Premed 101 Forums

Bombing a Verbal?

Sebriz

Hey guys, I hear about this sometimes but how many of you have ever completely bombed a verbal?

I just did aamc 9 today and got a 4 on the verbal.. I have never gotten a score that low even when I started studying!!

Any tips on how to avoid this? I practice alot.. but I havent been doing much verbal lately.. maybe thats why?

I still haven't went over the exam yet but I know im not that bad at verbal. I got an 8 when I did the real thing and my practice scores range from 7-11.

Have any of you ever completely bombed a verbal section before??

yea, verbal was never my forte either. When i was practicing for my rewrite two days ago, most of my AAMC's were in the range of 9-11, but there was one AAMC when i got a score of 6 (and that test i felt the MOST confident too). I made a thread about it a few weeks ago too, and some of the more verbal-capable ppl on premed101 offered some great wisdom like Erk.

For sure verbal scores will vary. Just try to determine why you got the four and if it perhaps was a fluke. VR scores will prob vary the most from test to test, due to the nature of the section. If VR tends to be an issue there are always different strategies that can be employed. They can be personal ones or you can resort to a few books that have excellent ones.

this is my greatest fear of writing the real mcat. the VR section can be so easily screwed up by the smallest mistakes whereas the science sections cannot. my other greatest fear is that my test centre will experience technical difficulties resulting in either an inaccurate score or the test being postponed to another day. i have nightmares about these things....

You are right, the VR is a very variable section, there are only 40 questions and the difference between sections is a matter of 1-2 questions. On top of that it is lot tougher to be confident in the answer selected. That being said, alot of it will depend on luck, the passages given, how you are feeling that day, etc so things you should not fret over because they are beyond your control. The issue with test centers is rare. That being said you should definately do your due diligence. From my experience, call the center and find out important aspects e.g do they have cubicles for students, what type of headphones the large industrial ones or ear bud. These may sound trivial but are imperative to consider. Finally, the enviornment during test day may be different than what you are used to. Remember on test day individuals around you may be doing the Writing sample while you are doing verbal, there may be slight whispering outside by staff. Try to get used to that enviornment like at a coffee shop, library, etc.

Archived