Premed 101 Forums

Ask a question for the person below you.

Cerena

Here's my real question, how come whenever I watch surgery the patient looks like they are vacuum sealed in a yellow bag?

Is this a tourniquet?

That's a diluted betadine solution that remains on the skin in order to kill bacteria. In long surgeries, such as a heart transplant, they use loban (film-like product) in addition to the betadine in order to keep the surgical area more stable and sterile. :)

What's your favourite field of medicine?

That's a diluted betadine solution that remains on the skin in order to kill bacteria. In long surgeries, such as a heart transplant, they use loban (film-like product) in addition to the betadine in order to keep the surgical area more stable and sterile. :)

What's your favourite field of medicine?

Orthopedic Surgery.

This "loban", is it some kind of wrapping?

Orthopedic Surgery.

This "loban", is it some kind of wrapping?

Also, I forgot to mention that no, that's not a tourniquet. It's a surgical retractor.

Loban is a surgical drape with antimicrobial film. It's basically like a sticky sheet that adhere's to the skin.

Why is your favourite medical speciality, your favourite?

Also, I forgot to mention that no, that's not a tourniquet. It's a surgical retractor.

Loban is a surgical drape with antimicrobial film. It's basically like a sticky sheet that adhere's to the skin.

Why is your favourite medical speciality, your favourite?

No I meant is the yellow bag-ish looking thing a tourniquet, I know the retractor isn't!:P

Well then what are they using to stop all the bleeding?

I thought it was a really tight bag (tourniquet) that cuts off blood flow....but then things would die wouldn't they?

y u no blood?

edit: AHA I was watching the video that screenshot came from, he called it a tourniquet!

I know iodine is used for sterilization but the bag-like texture puzzled me.

Well then what are they using to stop all the bleeding?

I thought it was a really tight bag (tourniquet) that cuts off blood flow....but then things would die wouldn't they?

y u no blood?

Perhaps you should wait to experience the miracle of surgery ;)

Patients typically bleed quite a lot, but they manage blood loss through electrocautery, sutures, clips, etc. Some surgeries will use a tourniquet to cut-off blood flow completely from a limb, such as an amputation. Let's not forget they also have sponges and suction..

Patients typically bleed quite a lot, but they manage blood loss through electrocautery, sutures, clips, etc. Some surgeries will use a tourniquet to cut-off blood flow completely from a limb, such as an amputation. Let's not forget they also have sponges and suction..

Platinum, how the hell did you get 41T on the MCAT. Mad respect :D How long did you study and what resources did you use? Share your secrets :D

I don't know sister, I've watched like a million surgeries and whenever I see them operating on a part of the body with that yellow thing the field is completely clear of blood not a drop.

But then I have been known to be wrong about all things.

Something's going on there besides cautery, sponges and suction minimizing bloodflow.

Platinum, how the hell did you get 41T on the MCAT. Mad respect :D How long did you study and what resources did you use? Share your secrets :D

Oh, it definitely shocked me at the time too! I'll PM you tomorrow about it if that works?

I don't know sister, I've watched like a million surgeries and whenever I see them operating on a part of the body with that yellow thing the field is completely clear of blood not a drop.

But then I have been known to be wrong about all things.

Something's going on there besides cautery, sponges and suction minimizing bloodflow.

I will admit that I know quite a few "theoretical" facts. However, I have only ever watched heart transplant surgeries. I'm not sure how common tourniquets are for orthopeadic surgery, but that may be the case, otherwise there should be a lot more bleeding. Ever seen a c-section? Obviously, surgery has to be more intricate than what we know, or else a long residency wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah and she's only in her 1st or 2nd year (can't remember)...

Why so...early...

Going into my fourth year of five. ;)