Premed 101 Forums

The worst feeling

pbear

Started studying for my MCAT in May, like most people. My exam is on the 19th and I feel like I can't make it. I have never ever felt so fried, worried, stressed and careless all at the same time. I woke up this morning hoping to do an AAMC but instead did the physical sciences section, got SO tired by verbal and decided to take a nap. I couldn't fall asleep because my heart was racing. I am mentally so tired but my body won't let me rest. I don't know what to do. I wish I could just write my MCAT tomorrow and get it over and not care how I do. I don't know how some people can study all summer and not feel as exhausted as I do (or maybe they do and I just don't know it?). I feel like my brain has hit a saturation point..I cannot take any more knowledge or info in but I feel like there is still SO MUCH MORE TO KNOW. I have never felt this way.. not even during my heavy-course-load-semesters at school...so I"m not sure how to deal with this for another 2 weeks :(. I may sound melodramatic but I seriously just want to lie in bed for two weeks and SLEEP and eat and for the times I can't sleep I want to watch Monty Python.

You sound like you need a chill day... A day totally for yourself, in which you do absolutely nothing school/MCAT/med application related. Don't think about it either.

The other day I did just that... Took the morning to wander around Vancouver, biked with a friend in the afternoon, saw a movie, then chilled out with the family in the evening. I was so much calmer and collected after it's totally worth it!

You sound like you need a chill day... A day totally for yourself, in which you do absolutely nothing school/MCAT/med application related. Don't think about it either.

The other day I did just that... Took the morning to wander around Vancouver, biked with a friend in the afternoon, saw a movie, then chilled out with the family in the evening. I was so much calmer and collected after it's totally worth it!

I'd like a day like that...but would feel too guilty for having it two weeks before my test.

You won't feel guilty when you realize that at this rate you're gonna do poorly.

If you can't even get through a practice exam in your pajamas with a glass of water next to you in your own house, you're never gonna make it through the real thing UNLESS you stop for a day, compose yourself, realize that it's just a test, and relax.

Then the next day, wake up, stretch, maybe get some exercise in, then attack the practice test and see how you do.

I'd like a day like that...but would feel too guilty for having it two weeks before my test.

A relaxing day will do more good than another day of inefficient studying and panic attacks. I woke up the other day at 1am thinking there was an earthquake- I could swear the room was actually shaking. This was followed by insomnia and gruesome nightmares, endless stress and worse ****.

Took a day off, did some stuff I enjoy doing and took some time to reflect on how unimportant the exam is in the grand scheme of the world and I felt better, lol.

A relaxing day will do more good than another day of inefficient studying and panic attacks. I woke up the other day at 1am thinking there was an earthquake- I could swear the room was actually shaking. This was followed by insomnia and gruesome nightmares, endless stress and worse ****.

Took a day off, did some stuff I enjoy doing and took some time to reflect on how unimportant the exam is in the grand scheme of the world and I felt better, lol.

Thanks Alchemist11 and Leon. Also, Leon, I woke up last year thinking there was an earthquake...turned out there was one @_@. It's such a scary feeling.

Anyway, I'll try taking a day off and do some things I used to love to do before I began studying for the test.

I know exactly how you feel! When I wrote the MCAT for my first time last year I was doing way too many things and my brain was literally turning to mush. I redid the test this year and the biggest difference from last year to this year for me was that I took time for myself. Even if it is a week or two before your test don`t feel like you need to kill yourself. I went on a three day camping trip a week before my test this year and I definitely don`t regret it! It helped me to relax and let all of the studying sink in. Even though I was tempted to grab my study note I didn`t because I realized that my body needed to relax before the test day. Also, it seemed that every time I took a couple of days off I seemed to do even better on my practice tests. Just try to remember that in times like this you need to listen to what your body is telling you. You`re sooo close to being done so just think of the time off you will have after you write to relax! Hope I helped a little :)

I agree with the others.. Take a day off from studying and even remotely thinking about school stuff! Go on a bike ride, go for a walk, anything. Just chill out and you'll be thankful later. Our brains need breaks just like our bodies do :)

As for sleeping, do something relaxing and fun before going to bed.. Read a good book, listen to music..

Hey PBear,

I totally get where you are coming from. After time, the self studying and never ending content can get to you. Its tough being able to take a day off to relax so close to the test date because your instincts don't want you too. What I recommend is leaving verbal, physical and bio for a day. Start watching the news, reading a newspaper you are interested in. This helped me two fold, I was studying in a sense for the writing sample even in the relaxed format and it also helped me feel connected to the global community outside my front door.

Hope that helps

you'll do really well on the writing sample... you describe things really well and will have a lot to say on random stuff the WS tests us on

as people have pointed out, take a day off every now and then... you def don't need to study everyday of the summer to do well on the MCAT

I know exactly how you feel! When I wrote the MCAT for my first time last year I was doing way too many things and my brain was literally turning to mush. I redid the test this year and the biggest difference from last year to this year for me was that I took time for myself. Even if it is a week or two before your test don`t feel like you need to kill yourself. I went on a three day camping trip a week before my test this year and I definitely don`t regret it! It helped me to relax and let all of the studying sink in. Even though I was tempted to grab my study note I didn`t because I realized that my body needed to relax before the test day. Also, it seemed that every time I took a couple of days off I seemed to do even better on my practice tests. Just try to remember that in times like this you need to listen to what your body is telling you. You`re sooo close to being done so just think of the time off you will have after you write to relax! Hope I helped a little :)

Thanks! It did help! I really needed to read something like this today.

you'll do really well on the writing sample... you describe things really well and will have a lot to say on random stuff the WS tests us on

as people have pointed out, take a day off every now and then... you def don't need to study everyday of the summer to do well on the MCAT

Hahahaha, why thank you!

I seriously just want to lie in bed for two weeks and SLEEP and eat and for the times I can't sleep I want to watch Monty Python.

Good luck, bud!

I remember the first time I wrote the MCAT, I totally burned myself out. Doing practice tests

Did the exact same thing as lekarza the second time around (taking a bit more time for myself, not burning myself out by doing endless practice tests), and I then succeeded.

Hope you strike that sweet balance between work and relaxation.

Good luck.

And remember:

![/size]

Good luck, bud!

I remember the first time I wrote the MCAT, I totally burned myself out. Doing practice tests

Did the exact same thing as lekarza the second time around (taking a bit more time for myself, not burning myself out by doing endless practice tests), and I then succeeded.

Hope you strike that sweet balance between work and relaxation.

Good luck.

And remember:

![/size]

Oh man, that last clip is golden/my anthem.

Archived