Premed 101 Forums

Yorkies: full course load?

aaronjw

Hey fellow yorkies.

Can one of you help me out with the definition of a full course load at York with respect to future med school apps? Is it based on credits or courses?

Currently enrolled in 8 courses (5 in the 1st, 3 in the second) for the year which accounts for 30 credits. Is this considered a full year?

Thanks guys!

Hey fellow yorkies.

Can one of you help me out with the definition of a full course load at York with respect to future med school apps? Is it based on credits or courses?

Currently enrolled in 8 courses (5 in the 1st, 3 in the second) for the year which accounts for 30 credits. Is this considered a full year?

Thanks guys!

I am pretty sure you have a full course load ( since you have 100% course load based on YorkU). Though the reason I am not exactly sure is because I think the definition of a full course load is the following:

Courses that last 1 session ( Such as Winter only, or Fall only)= 0.5

While courses that last full year session ( Fall and Winter) = 1

Basically, give your courses the value it gets ( 0.5 or 1) and then the sum should equal a 5, as that would be full course load.

In my opinion, if people have 30 credits, they should add up to 5 always; not hundred % sure.

thanks for the replies all.

Man I hate rejigging friggin schedules. Trying to get out of 4-10pm classes on Tues/Thurs which I can do but now I am a credit short of 30 and don't want to add any more into my fall schedule.

Argh!

yeah I took 27 and 28 credits in my second and third year just cuz of labs... no point ruining my chances for the schools I stand a chance at (mac, uoft, ottawa) unless your good at verbal :P

yeah I took 27 and 28 credits in my second and third year just cuz of labs... no point ruining my chances for the schools I stand a chance at (mac, uoft, ottawa) unless your good at verbal :P

This is my first year lol

So what did you do then? Load up in first and 4th years?

• 1 month later...
sorry to dig up an older thread, but I am having the same prob - I am one credit short (29) because I have two lab courses. Are there any 2.0 credits at york? (besides that 2.0 bio one for honors students).

and charmer - didn't taking less than 30 credits disqualify you from Western/U of T's wGPA formula?

There are field courses that are 2.0 credits.

I think theres also a computer science course that is 2.0 credits.

Well I wasn't aware of UofT's formula in my second year... and Western only looks at one year with a full course load... you can take the other one during the year you apply (but western is my last choice anyway so I don't really care... no way am I getting an 11 VR :rolleyes: )

Well I wasn't aware of UofT's formula in my second year... and Western only looks at one year with a full course load... you can take the other one during the year you apply (but western is my last choice anyway so I don't really care... no way am I getting an 11 VR :rolleyes: )

YES you can damnit! :D

so what's your first choice? I sadly didnt have a full course load in my first year either. It suckssss

Oh right I forgot about the field courses (when do those take place? during the reading weeks?). Thanks for the suggestion.

Aw that sucks for UofT (unless you don't really need the wGPA formula).

um guys is there a significant disadvantage for not being a full-time student at york? I can pick something up from my home university, but then my credits at york are less than 30. Would I be disqualified for certain services? (like bus pass?). If anyone knows off the top their head please let me know!

I think you need to have 60% enrolment at York but you CAN take other courses elsewhere (with permission I'm assuming).

Concern here is that the courses you take wouldn't align to the course requirements for York.

I think you need to have 60% enrolment at York but you CAN take other courses elsewhere (with permission I'm assuming).

Concern here is that the courses you take wouldn't align to the course requirements for York.

Hmmm, so biology department just told me 18 credits = full time status at York??? yet the York website defines 30 credits as a full course load :confused: Is York's definition of full course load different from med school's definition (which I know for sure is 30 credits)?

Hmmm, so biology department just told me 18 credits = full time status at York??? yet the York website defines 30 credits as a full course load :confused: Is York's definition of full course load different from med school's definition (which I know for sure is 30 credits)?

It equals full time status but it doesn't mean a full course load. Big difference in terminology.

30 credits = full course load at york

5 credits = other schools

It equals full time status but it doesn't mean a full course load. Big difference in terminology.

30 credits = full course load at york

5 credits = other schools

alright thanks....so no one knows about any other services that I'd be ineligible for if taking less than 30 credits? Is there anyone at york that could give me a knowledgeable answer?

alright thanks....so no one knows about any other services that I'd be ineligible for if taking less than 30 credits? Is there anyone at york that could give me a knowledgeable answer?

a person taking 18 credits and a person taking 30 credits are both considered full-time... therefore they both will get the benefits of full time students

the only thing I can think of that you will be ineligible for without 30 credits is the presidents honour roll... to be on the presidents honour roll, you need to obtain a gpa of 9.0 on 30 credits

a person taking 18 credits and a person taking 30 credits are both considered full-time... therefore they both will get the benefits of full time students

the only thing I can think of that you will be ineligible for without 30 credits is the presidents honour roll... to be on the presidents honour roll, you need to obtain a gpa of 9.0 on 30 credits

Thanks, that's good to know!

Why don't you contact student services?

yeah ok guess I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion.

Archived