Premed 101 Forums

Besides a career in medicine, what else would you like to accomplish in life?

cardiacsurgeon91

I would like to run for a seat in the House of Commons one day after practicing medicine for several years and making a name for myself in my community (I already am a member of a political party), hopefully I'll be good friends with Prime Minister (assuming our party wins) and he'll appoint me to cabinet (I'd prefer the finance portfolio), then I might run for the leadership of the party if somehow I am a prominent member of the cabinet, and become a Prime Minister myself.

So, other than medicine, what else do you guys want to do with your lives?

Besides a career in medicine, I have many things I wish to accomplish in life. First and foremost, I would like to have a family and live to a ripe old age with my wife. I would like to see the world and go into outer-space, skydive, bungee-jump off the dam from golden-eye (lol), spend 1000 bucks to have dinner in the Eiffel tower, learn to fly an aircraft, own a motorcycle, finish every level of RCM examinations in piano and in violin, own a big house in the countryside with lots of gardens. I would like to give back my time to the things that also interest me. I would like to teach piano when I retire and learn new things everyday. I want to run a marathon, and complete a triathlon.

There are honestly so many things I would like to do that I can't mention them all.

Cheers,

ABS

I want to do many things before I study medicine like getting knee deep into research. I also would love to join some kind of organization like FBI and serve as an forensic investigator or something like that. I would also like to learn different types of martial arts (this is high on the priority list)

I think small, so these are some things I'd like to achieve in the next decade.

1) Learn to use a sewing machine - I have one, but I'm so incompetent at using it that I continue to take pants to the tailor for hemming, let alone anything more complicated.

2) Get good enough at woodworking to make non-embarrassing furniture (currently sticking to birdhouses).

3) Learn to play tennis.

4) Learn not to kill every plant that comes under my auspices.

5) Bring a bird from the sky/lake straight to the table without anyone's assistance.

6) Acquire and tend to rare-breed chickens.

padovanariccia.jpg

Chicken+Temple+Newsam.jpg

1) Travel around the world and meet nice people --> jungle, glaciers, deserts, everything !

2) Learn Spanish once for good + some other languages

3) Teach at the Faculty

4) Do all the classic crazy things everybody wants to do before dying

5) Own a ferrari and a ducatti

6) Have a sexy wife and beautiful children :cool: (lol)

1) Get married, have babies

2) Travel everywhere, see the wonders of the world

3) Learn how to scuba dive

4) Learn photography

5) Have a nice garden and the ability to bake cookies.

6) Have a nice home and get to put in lots of time and effort on painting, furnishing, and decorating it to make it beautiful.

1) Open my own little bakery somewhere in the south of France.

2) Have a villa with with a good amount of land so that I can plant myself a majestic garden.

3) Randomly pick a homeless person and turn their life around.

Ahhhh many things I would like to do in life, but only one life in which to do them.

Can I come visit you?

I may dress like a homeless person.

I'm a little older than most medical students, so I've already accomplished a lot of the things that were on my "bucket list."

Things I've done:

- ran several marathons

- completed several triathlons

- served my country

- earned a medal

- learned a third language

- married the most incredible man in the world - we are so totally and completely in love with each other

- sky-dived

- visited Egypt - saw the Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's Temple, Abu Simbel, and King Tut's gold

- saw the bust of Nefertitti in the Berlin Egyptian museum

- visited Rome and saw the Coliseum among many other ancient Roman sites (and some others, like the Vatican and Vatican museums)

- saw the horses of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna in person

- visited Athens and climbed up to the acropolis and saw the Parthenon

Things still on my list:

- become a doctor (on my way to this!)

- complete an ultra (a distance running race longer than a marathon)

- own our own home

- own my own horse

- establish a local chapter/support group of the Endometriosis Association to help other women with this horrible disease, especially young women who are so often told the pain is "normal" and they should just "get over it" - so sad

- visit the British Museum and see all their wonderful ancient artifacts

I'm a little older than most medical students, so I've already accomplished a lot of the things that were on my "bucket list."

Things I've done:

- ran several marathons

- completed several triathlons

- served my country

- earned a medal

- learned a third language

- married the most incredible man in the world - we are so totally and completely in love with each other

- sky-dived

- visited Egypt - saw the Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's Temple, Abu Simbel, and King Tut's gold

- saw the bust of Nefertitti in the Berlin Egyptian museum

- visited Rome and saw the Coliseum among many other ancient Roman sites (and some others, like the Vatican and Vatican museums)

- saw the horses of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna in person

- visited Athens and climbed up to the acropolis and saw the Parthenon

Things still on my list:

- become a doctor (on my way to this!)

- complete an ultra (a distance running race longer than a marathon)

- own our own home

- own my own horse

- establish a local chapter/support group of the Endometriosis Association to help other women with this horrible disease, especially young women who are so often told the pain is "normal" and they should just "get over it" - so sad

- visit the British Museum and see all their wonderful ancient artifacts

Funny thing about the British Museum... a lot of the countries that they stole the artifacts from absolutely hate the place.

I was in Athens last week and the guide we were with said Greece has been trying to get back the artifacts for decades and the British keep giving excuses like the museum in Greece isn't modern enough. So, Greece goes out and builds a brand new modern museum... they even had a sign up in one wing saying something like "we are currently waiting for our stolen artifacts to be returned from the British Museum..." but it got taken down after somebody complained about it.

Having said that, I would still go to the museum.

Funny thing about the British Museum... a lot of the countries that they stole the artifacts from absolutely hate the place.

I was in Athens last week and the guide we were with said Greece has been trying to get back the artifacts for decades and the British keep giving excuses like the museum in Greece isn't modern enough. So, Greece goes out and builds a brand new modern museum... they even had a sign up in one wing saying something like "we are currently waiting for our stolen artifacts to be returned from the British Museum..." but it got taken down after somebody complained about it.

Having said that, I would still go to the museum.

I resent this. I was just at the British museum and everything that is kept there is in pristine condition. If they hadn't taken some of these artifacts, someone else would have and they would be ruined or destroyed. I agree it wasn't right to take all the items-but at least everything has been kept in amazing condition. Also-they have given back lots of artifacts.

Edit: One of the staff members that worked there was asked why they haven't given back all the artifacts from other countries, & she replied that they are hesitant because some things they had given back before got ruined because the countries that were given them didn't take care of them properly, which damaged them. I'm sure Greece will get its items eventually.

I resent this. I was just at the British museum and everything that is kept there is in pristine condition. If they hadn't taken some of these artifacts, someone else would have and they would be ruined or destroyed. I agree it wasn't right to take all the items-but at least everything has been kept in amazing condition. Also-they have given back lots of artifacts.

Edit: One of the staff members that worked there was asked why they haven't given back all the artifacts from other countries, & she replied that they are hesitant because some things they had given back before got ruined because the countries that were given them didn't take care of them properly, which damaged them. I'm sure Greece will get its items eventually.

Isn't that a rather paternalistic view though? "Let me hold on to those for you because you don't know what to do with them and will wreck it!"

Archived