Premed 101 Forums

Lying for EC's?

deucex

So yeah, i pretty much have 0 extra curricular. I was too busy working on my GPA (which is 3.95 in Chemical Engineering).

Can i lie about my EC's? How do they verify?

What if i say something random like i was volunteering in Africa every summer. They cant really verify that so they would just take my word for it, right?

Do i even need EC's with a GPA that high?

BTW: the reason i have no ECs is because i just decided to become a doctor in my 4th year.

EDIT: Can you guys just tell me how they will verify if i say something like that?

I'm not worried about MMI questions. My nerves are pretty good and i can definitely make it believe-able.

I dont understand why they would ask for a reference letter if i say something like the above. I can say i worked in a different orphanage every summer and i dont stay in touch with them in Canada.

I could provide Reference letters for my job which would actually be real.

EDIT2: Dont give me lectures on the morality of what im doing and about how other people work hard to get in.

I dont really care about other people. Besides, i only want to become a doctor for the money and job security.

Im NOT trolling. $200,000 -$300,000 as a cardiologist is nice cash.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So yeah, i pretty much have 0 extra curricular. I was too busy working on my GPA (which is 3.95 in Chemical Engineering).

What if i say something random like i was volunteering in Africa every summer. They cant really verify that so they would just take my word for it, right?

BTW: the reason i have no ECs is because i just decided to become a doctor in my 4th year.

Do not lie. I know macmaster will not accept your application for 7 years if they find false informaiton. It's not worth it.

So what should i do then? I dont have time to get enough EC to apply for U of C medicine.

You must have done something? Job? Research? Volunteer work? It doesn't just have to be clubs. You can even include personal interests, like sports or other hobbies. But whatever you do, don't lie.

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613198&postcount=1

I see from your only other post on here that you're either lying to us here or there. The first says you're considering going into engineering, and here you're implying that you've already entered your fourth year.

If you're truly going into first year, then you've got plenty of time to start volunteering. If you're going into your final year, then lying on the application will only put you on a blacklist for whatever school to which you apply.

So what should i do then? I dont have time to get enough EC to apply for U of C medicine.

DO NOT LIE

You already have a great professional degree (or going to have one)! If you lie and get caught, you are not only washing you hands off the medical school but also a good career in Chemical Engineering.

I would suggest take some time to reflect on yourself. Medicine and Engineering are professions where small mistakes have significant consequences for general public. This is one of the reasons that you have the PEng and medical certification, and on top of everything else, both professions are enacted to be self-regulated for the purpose of public good.

I would suggest you work part time after your degree, volunteer where you are dealing with the patients in some sense and take up some other extracurricular activities for two or more years. And if you still want to do medicine, then apply with a stronger application.

This is just my personal opinion.

If you get caught, you'll be in DEEEP trouble and you can pretty much say good bye to becoming a doctor as you'll be blocked from applying to all the other schools in Ontario and perhaps the other provinces.

You also said they wouldn't know, they will find out easily. Getting into med school is as detailed, or more detailed than job interviews. You'll have to provide some sort of reference letter (which requires EC's) and they usually contact the people who made the ref. letters from what I hear.

Bottom line: If you get caught, is equivalent to cheating on university exams, i'll put it as that. If I were you, I wouldn't do something I like volunteering in Africa means nothing IF that doesn't reflect who you are as a person. Regardless, it's not too late, you can still do research and volunteer in the summer. Anyways good luck.

Are you seriously contemplating lying about volunteering in Africa on your application? Not only does this go against the ethics of a physician (or any profession), you will be asked about your experiences and will have to supply a verifier. You can try applying with your work experiences and other interests as above.. else many people have taken time to strengthen their applications and apply in subsequent years.

Are you seriously contemplating lying about volunteering in Africa on your application? Not only does this go against the ethics of a physician (or any profession), you will be asked about your experiences and will have to supply a verifier. You can try applying with your work experiences and other interests as above.. else many people have taken time to strengthen their applications and apply in subsequent years.

In business/marketing it's encouraged. LOL

If you lie and are accepted, you can be thrown out while attending med school.

The answer is quite simple. If you need ECs to make your way, apply for the experience, and fill in the gap in another year or two. There are no short cuts whatsoever and a 3.95 standing on its own is meaningless. By that I mean, if you do not do well in the MMI, you are dead in the water with even a 4.0 GPA and great ECs. So, do not be impressed by yourself.

Do the best you can with what you have. Do not fool yourself into believing that you have any sense of entitlement. Nobody does. Excellent candidates with the full nine yards are routinely refused acceptance every year and they just reapply year after year until acceptance. Don't be in a rush, another couple of or few years in the grand scheme of things over a lifetime is unimportant, so you will practice for 37 years and not 40 years. Have perspective and if you go that route, you deserve what you will get.

You gotta just try and apply and simultaneously build your profile with ECs while you wait. For now focus on schools like McMaster which do not care about your ECs at all, for them its all based on GPA, MCAT and a personality/MMI-type test so your lack of ECs won't hurt you directly. If you are unsuccessful after a try or two you will have built up the ECs in the meantime and you can apply more broadly...your subsequent tries may prove more fruitful.

If you lie and are caught through a slip up on your application, through a verifier or in an interview you will be blacklisted even at schools you didn't apply to. This period will be long enough to completely discourage you from ever applying again. The former dean at UO told me that they send out your information to every med school in the country if you are caught lying.

3.95 in chemical engineering isn't THAT big a deal anyway. Just saying, there are TONS of applicants with GPA's that high (or higher) in programs that are just as tough. I'm going to be applying with a 4.0 (3.97 converted to OMSAS) in an honours chemistry degree. My friend is also applying with a 4.0 (4.0 converted to OMSAS) in honours physics. We are both taking second majors in math while doing our honours (yay for overloading) and still have a fairly strong amount of EC's on top of that.

That being said, I'm not bragging about myself or my friend as there is still a HUGE chance that neither of us will get in, it's a very competitive process and as good as anyone may *think* they are, there is ALWAYS someone with a stronger application. (unless you happen to be the one person in the country who is essentially perfect, and even then, different committees may find someone elses application to be a better fit for them).

Don't lie. If you want to go into med, do as others have suggested and work part-time to support yourself while you build some strong EC's over at LEAST the next year.

Good luck and I hope you take the honest route.

Good luck lying about going to Africa and saving orphans from mudslides while curing Ebola with a distillation of your sweat and their tears.

Also; ad-coms aren't stupid. They'll have questions on panel interviews, and if you bring it up on your MMI, they'll expect fully fleshed out answers.

What kind of answer are you expecting?

Can you guys just tell me how they will verify if i say something like that?

I'm not worried about MMI questions. My nerves are pretty good and i can definitely make it believe-able.

Reference letters arent really a problem.

1. This isn't like applying to university.

2. Applying to medical school is a BIG deal. A bigger deal than applying for a full time job. Once you get into a Canadian Med school, your set to become a doctor.

3. If you get to Interview stage they look at EVERYTHING about you. They will look at all your volunteering experiences and you'll have to talk about your EC's specifically in your Interview.

4. Inorder to apply, YOU NEED REFERENCE LETTERS. They double check you didn't make them up by calling each individual as they will be spending MILLIONS of dollars to train you to become a doctor.

5. You get caught, everything is over. It's not going to be taken lightly, you'll be black listed.

P.S. If you even consider doing this, you won't make it to become a doctor as you'll fail the interview with a character like yours. If you consider saving people's life by lying your way through and becoming a fraud, shame on you from the bottom of my heart.

EDIT: Can you guys just tell me how they will verify if i say something like that?

I dont understand why they would ask for a reference letter if i say something like the above. I can say i worked in a different orphanage every summer and i dont stay in touch with them in Canada.

I could provide Reference letters for my job which would actually be real.

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused about something. You say in this question that your GPA is 3.95 in chemical engineering. Yet, you've written a post previously stating that you are planning on taking an engineering degree:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=613198#post613198

Would be nice if you cleared that up here, considering that you mentioned the reason for lack of extracurriculars was due to obtaining a high GPA in your engineering degree.

Can you guys just tell me how they will verify if i say something like that?

Reference letters arent really a problem.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, I sincerely hope you never make it into medical school if you keep this up.

Many people spend years getting ready for medical applications and some deal with the highs and lows of getting rejected cycle after cycle and get in on the back of hard work and dedication. Your behaviour is an insult to everyone who works so hard towards this.

ps. On July 25th you wrote:

Im planning on taking engineering at u of calgary. Probably Biomedical or maybe petroleum.

After that, i plan on going to medical school.

What do you think of this plan? Is engineering a smart choice for a pre-med degree? Would a lower GPA still be good enough to be admitted to medical school? (eg. i have read that engineering is much hard than a BSc so a GPA of 3.9 in BSc would be equivalent to 3.5 in engineering.) <--- just guessing

Thanks for any feedback.

So unless this is your second degree in engineering, and unless you are the brightest friggin person of all time who finished their engineering degree in 2 weeks while simultaneously solving their low-GPA worries and pulling a 3.95...you are are just baiting us with this and good on you for getting us. Now piss off.

Archived