Premed 101 Forums

Lying for EC's?

deucex

So yeah, i pretty much have 0 extra curricular. I was too busy working on my GPA (which is 3.95 in Chemical Engineering).

Can i lie about my EC's? How do they verify?

What if i say something random like i was volunteering in Africa every summer. They cant really verify that so they would just take my word for it, right?

Do i even need EC's with a GPA that high?

BTW: the reason i have no ECs is because i just decided to become a doctor in my 4th year.

EDIT: Can you guys just tell me how they will verify if i say something like that?

I'm not worried about MMI questions. My nerves are pretty good and i can definitely make it believe-able.

I dont understand why they would ask for a reference letter if i say something like the above. I can say i worked in a different orphanage every summer and i dont stay in touch with them in Canada.

I could provide Reference letters for my job which would actually be real.

EDIT2: Dont give me lectures on the morality of what im doing and about how other people work hard to get in.

I dont really care about other people. Besides, i only want to become a doctor for the money and job security.

Im NOT trolling. $200,000 -$300,000 as a cardiologist is nice cash.

If something seems fishy to them. Like something as big as volunteering in Africa. They will want a verifier. They will want to know the position of the person who can verify that you did it. And they will make sure you didn't invent this person. They will not take your word for it. You have to have most of your items verified within reason.

It's only random things like....I took Karate classes when I was 17, and I don't really have a way to verify that would they understand that "Okay, its okay if you don't have a verifier for *everything*, but you do have it for most."

A GPA that high: 3.95. I don't want to say that the GPA isn't high, but you have to look at it in relative terms. You are competing with med school applicants. All of our GPAs are high. So yes, you do need EC's.

Also, because you didn't know you wanted to be a doctor until later and that's why you don't have EC's is not an excuse. They want to know who you are as a person. I didn't do EC's with medical school in mind. I did things that I enjoyed because I wanted to have a LIFE. Because I wanted to make a difference and meet people with the similar interests as me. Because I want to keep myself busy somehow, in addition to getting my 3.98 omsas GPA.

They will want to know through what organization did you volunteer, and that organization will have a record of your name on file. And I'm sorry, but medicine really is not the field for security and money. The # of hours a doctor works to get that money is appalling, and hence, the money they make on a ratio basis ($/hr) is really not that high.

If all you care about is an easy life, then go become a teacher. Get your vacations, 8-3 job, insurance, union security, etc. But I am scared to even suggest this to you considering your....I have no word for you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth of the matter (bahah word choice) is no one here can can choose for you.

Lying and cheating happens all the time. Doesn't make it right (moralistically, academically or socially) but it happens. I've read many surveys that spoke about large percentiles of undergraduates who do cheat the system here or there.

Everyone here can argue if it's wrong or right, regardless of their views, until the sun burns out. In the end it's your choice and your responsibility to cary the results.

You may get in or you may not. You may get caught or you may not. It may affect you positively or negatively. You may ruin your life or you may succeed in life.

Again, in the end it's your choice to make and your life to affect (may not be the only life you affect +/- due to it).

Yes it is a secure job but it will take you 7-10 years depending on residency to start earning what you will earn with your 3.95 in chemical engineering. My friend had a 3.8 in mechanical engineering and he switched to consulting and is earning over 100k right after graduation. In the 7-10 years you will be getting promotions and possibly a MBA raising your income easily to 200k and on the other hand in medicine you have to pay for your tuition! The opportunity cost in terms of money is greater!

I hope all those who lie in their application get caught and blacklisted. Law and Politics will be better places for people with such low ethics, and they are highly paying jobs.

I agree with the first sentence.

As reagrds law and politics, it is true that many politicans are both liars lawyers. Not all lawyers are liars - many are just downright incompetent. ;)

But you must lie when you are defending a criminal.

Absolutely not.

Someone charged with a criminal offence is presumed innocent!

The burden is upon the Crown/prosecution/the State to prove - if they can - that the person/accused/defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Professional privilege exists between the accused and his/her lawyer. Even if the defense lawyer knows the client is guilty, this can never be disclosed and the Crown is held to its burden of proof - which it may not meet.

The defense lawyer would never condone perjury by allowing the client to lie under oath. It is one thing to allow prejury in Court, which lawyers will not do, it is another to destroy privileged communication and for the defense lawyer to spill the beans - for which he will be disbarred!

Often an able defense lawyer will get a guilty client off to be found not guilty because the Crown has not discharged its burden of proof. The Crown has a heavy burden.

Archived