Premed 101 Forums

We have given up teaching to medical students for now, but they still get to revise their cases with the attending. We refuse to teach, revise, go see their patients, fill out prescriptions... We barely even speak to them :) As for MS1... they get their courses from attending and staff, so it doesn't change anything. If a course was taught by a resident, then the attending will have to do it.

Exactly, it may seem as med students are being penalized for now, but ultimately, it's for your own good. The advances made will allow you to work reasonable hours on call and be paid a reasonable salary for the responsability you take (as opposed to now).

Exactly, it may seem as med students are being penalized for now, but ultimately, it's for your own good. The advances made will allow you to work reasonable hours on call and be paid a reasonable salary for the responsability you take (as opposed to now).

I have a comment regarding the work hours.

You do realize they don't work for surgical specialties, do you?

Hopefully our residents and the government can resolve the dispute. I do believe what the residents are asking for is very reasonable.

I've been told that the 16 hr vs 24 hr has been resolved and 16 h will now be used as policy. McGill appealed the court decision to extend it by 6 months - we'll see what the court decides.

Also, if your in class of 2015 and wondering about this, our associate dean sent us a info email about it a day ago.

But you guys have much less debt than med students from the rest of Canada.

I totally agree that it's for all med students good, not just the residents. It would be great to be paid a salary comparable to the one residents recieve every where else.

P.S.: Our tuition is not much less than elsewhere in Canada, but the residents get payed MUCH less. Plus we pay more taxes...

I totally agree that it's for all med students good, not just the residents. It would be great to be paid a salary comparable to the one residents recieve every where else.

P.S.: Our tuition is not much less than elsewhere in Canada, but the residents get payed MUCH less. Plus we pay more taxes...

lol believe me... our tuition is MUCH MUCH less than elsewhere in Canada.

You guys also have to realize that just because someone is a resident in Quebec, doesn't mean that they did their MD degree in Quebec. The fact that our tuition is dirt cheap has nothing to do with the fact that residents get paid the lowest in all of Canada.

I think we all agree that what the residents are asking for is very reasonable....we just don't agree that our education should be put at risk as a result. When the residents went on strike last June, our course coordinator managed to hold whole class sessions for the remaining small groups that we had left (the residents were NOT replaced by attendings). Now that we are about to start second year, we are sometimes supposed to have 2 small groups a day, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with that.....

The third year students doing clerkship are really the ones getting screwed over though....they basically go into the hospital and do NOTHING. If this strike goes on much longer, it could have serious consequences on our education.

We all just hope that this gets resolved very soon.

I'm very surprised that most (all?) of your small groups at McGill are taught by residents

Yup, a large amount actually. And to be honest, they are the best ones to do it since they still remember the basic science since it wasn't too long that they were a medical student. The few times we had a non-resident teaching us, if we had a detailed scientific question, they'd often just answer with "Ummmm....well that's not clinically relevant" lol

You guys also have to realize that just because someone is a resident in Quebec, doesn't mean that they did their MD degree in Quebec. The fact that our tuition is dirt cheap has nothing to do with the fact that residents get paid the lowest in all of Canada.

I think we all agree that what the residents are asking for is very reasonable....we just don't agree that our education should be put at risk as a result. When the residents went on strike last June, our course coordinator managed to hold whole class sessions for the remaining small groups that we had left (the residents were NOT replaced by attendings). Now that we are about to start second year, we are sometimes supposed to have 2 small groups a day, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with that.....

The third year students doing clerkship are really the ones getting screwed over though....they basically go into the hospital and do NOTHING. If this strike goes on much longer, it could have serious consequences on our education.

We all just hope that this gets resolved very soon.

I hope it doesn't end like the Post Canada strike when people when affected people will get mad (in this case the med students) which will justify a government special law.

Good for the Quebec residents!

The inherent injustices of resident labor are legion: hospitals receive government money for residents. From that, a small portion is paid to the resident in salary. The rest is kept by the hospitals for "resident educational purposes" aka "bull****".

Residents are expected to do the work of not only a physician but also that of the social worker, bed manager, HR representative, nurse, technician, and secretary. For this they get paid less than minimum wage.

It's about time residents somewhere have stood up for just treatment.

If residents were to walk off duty, hospital costs would skyrocket. Residents are supremely unaware that they hold all the cards.

Right! What about all the residents of the province stop working at the hospitals on the same day (or even the same week) to see how bad is doing the HC system without them?

I think that would be more powerfull as means pressure and it would have less impacts on medicine students' learning.

Right! What about all the residents of the province stop working at the hospitals on the same day (or even the same week) to see how bad is doing the HC system without them?

I think that would be more powerfull as means pressure and it would have less impacts on medicine students' learning.

This is illegal. We are deemed an essential service. So if we go on strike 90% of us must still go to work.

Residents are expected to do the work of not only a physician but also that of the social worker, bed manager, HR representative, nurse, technician, and secretary..

You've just delivered a serious insult to all hospital social workers, bed managers, HR reps, nurses, technicians and secretaries. I can assure you that the work a resident does in the hospital would be worth nothing without all of these other professionals.

You've just delivered a serious insult to all hospital social workers, bed managers, HR reps, nurses, technicians and secretaries. I can assure you that the work a resident does in the hospital would be worth nothing without all of these other professionals.

I don't see any insult in his/her statement....:confused:

If anything, it shows how each of those jobs are so important and essential that they cannot be done by people who do not possess the required knowledge or experience. Let's take a chill pill. :P;)