Premed 101 Forums

McGill Essay

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I just handed in my applications to Mac and U of T and am getting ready to hand in my McGill application. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some tips on writing the essay. I wrote the U of T essay and I'm pretty much planning on using the same examples, although I realise that McGill wants a specific format. At the end of my U of T essay my last paragraph tied together the activities I've done and how that makes me a suitable candidate to study medicine, but McGill puts in capital letters that I should state my basis for studying medicine ONLY on the first page--does this mean I'm not allowed to mention it again?? This is really driving me nuts because I don't want to mention activities I've done without relating them to medicine. Someone please help!

I have also just handed in Mac's app...but I haven't begun Mcgill's...

Were you able to cut sections from your Mac app into Mcgill's essay? This would save me so much time, as midterms at school are starting to bog me down!!

By the way, how much harder is the Mcgill app to complete compared to Mac? I know Mac takes a while because of their brain-draining questions :)

Thanx bud

Guest medicator007

G'day,

Just some points based on my experience, by no means the golden rule!

McGill is MUCH easier than mac applications, which as you very well pointed out can be rather brain draining... an interesting experience to say the least!

As for BioChem10's question about the specific McGill format... on the first page you are supposed to provide insight into why you are choosing medicine as a career, very similar to questions asked at all the other schools. On the remaining 3 pages, in general one would use them to annotate all the activities you have partaken in, what you learned from them, how they will make you a better doctor/medical student... but there is NO need to waste the precious space saying AGAIN why you want to be a physician.

Hope this helps, feel free to post any more ?'s should you feel the need.

Best of luck to u both,

Medicator

Guest Biochem10

Hey, thanks for the advice. I have a feeling of how I'm going to write this now. The only reason why I'm finding this hard is that with U of T I wrote the essay to address all the questions, with McGill I feel unsure what to put and what not to put (examples of compassion, leadership, iniative etc... is a pretty broad description). Obviously, I can't put everything that comes to mind, I have to pick out the most important examples and link them together somehow.

Guest candybits

One other small thing... also, the more recent the activities, the better. They would obviously give more credit to something that you've done more recently than something that you've done like during your freshmen year.

Also, try to incorporate a wide range of activities, rather than just your research or medically-related experiences. It makes you seem like an well-rounded individual.

Good luck!

Guest Biochem10

I really like to travel and went to Australia, Ireland and Scotland, but does that have anything to do with medicine? Could someone please let me know if this type of thing seems relevant?

Guest candybits

I used my extensive travelling in the past to reflect how I am more appreciative of diverse cultures, aware of cultural differences, which would be crucial in providing healthcare in a multicultural society as the one in Canada?! I know it sounds a lot like a b/s, but hey... if it makes you look better, why not use it?

I'm having a little trouble in deciding how to approach this essay. Either use it to list all the things I have done (i.e. a "cv"), or just focus on a few specific things and develop them in order to show a little more insight.

ANyone have any suggestions, or know how it is assessed? i.e. the amount of things that we list, or the amount of insight we show??

Guest medicator007

Hey Petra,

It can be a tough task, and I would strongly advise that you check out the admissions page of McGill as they provide a very good idea of what they want (http://www.med.mcgill.ca and then click on admissions).

That being said here is my take:

You DO NOT want the latter three pages to consist of nothing more than a prose version of your CV. The approach to take is to look at the qualities that McGill says they are looking for "leadership, initiative, team work, time management -- off the top of my head". The pick SOME of the activities or experiences that you have and use them to demonstrate your possession of these characteristics. I know it is much easier said than done, but i personally found this approach helpful.

Also keep in mind that the " I wanna be a doc b/c" shpiel should be restricted to the first page as indicated in the intructions. They know you want to become a doctor, that is why you are applying... i viewed the final three pages as my space to prove to them that not only did I want to become a doctor.... i had the ABILITY to succeed in becoming one! Do not be shy and feel free to demonstrate the great things that you have undoubtedly accomplished.... while modesty is certainly a nice trait (and should be used to a certain extent lest you come off as arrogant)... u only have 3 pages to catch the readers attention....

Hope this long convoluted tirade helped and be sure to get people to proofread your essay and provide them with a copy of the instructions.

Cheers and best of luck,

Medicator

Thanx medicator007,

yah, most of the advice I have gotten from people has been to focus on a few things and go more in depth, b/c that way your essay will be more memorable than just a list. The only thing is that they go to school in the states, where that is really emphasized, and they never had to write an essay for mcgill.

Hopefully I'll come up with something decent!!

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I called McGill and asked about the format of the letter (mine didn't follow the two part format they wanted but it just flowed better the way it was and I didn't want to change it). I was told that what is on the website is a "guide" only and it was alright that my essay didn't follow. Now I'm a little worried, I already submitted...

I enjoyed writing the McGill essay. It really made me condense my reasons for wanting to become a doctor onto 1 double spaced page.

I followed the guidelines on their website. What I really liked about the essay is that is can supplement the CV that's sent in. So you can really focus on talking about what you learned, or anecdotes, as opposed to stating the nature of the task.

Is this the final application in Canada? Or are some still open later?

I enjoyed writing the McGill essay. It really made me condense my reasons for wanting to become a doctor onto 1 double spaced page.

I followed the guidelines on their website. What I really liked about the essay is that is can supplement the CV that's sent in. So you can really focus on talking about what you learned, or anecdotes, as opposed to stating the nature of the task.

Is this the final application in Canada? Or are some still open later?

See, I didn't like having to condense all exposure to health care (5 diverse years of work) AND reasons for wanting to be a doctor on one page. It was hard.

But in the end, I still found stuff for the other pages. And hey, all's well that ends well!

Archived