Premed 101 Forums

Quote of the day

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, bang on... in my life at least, no one ever gets my motivation, to be honest, in a way, im a product of accidental circumstances, otherwise, i'd be content with money, the title, and fun

Thanks muse, glad to hear that there are others who enjoy such perspectives (besides me, of course, lol...), and you are right, I think, about the rareness of such traits as personality analisys/introspection... but there's nothing wrong... IMO this attitudes are coming with... after experiencing some kind of paritcular situations, when you become aware that you need something more, the books are far from being enough.. you know...and this motivates you every day, every hour...

these quotes, for me, are just a kind of a few moments of relax, a way to force myself to remaind why I'm doing what I am doing.... lol, a kind of Steve Jobs' quote about every day repeating "What would I do today if this day were the last day in my life ?".. lol

wow, bang on... in my life at least, no one ever gets my motivation, to be honest, in a way, im a product of accidental circumstances, otherwise, i'd be content with money, the title, and fun

we are all a product of some accidental situations, in a different amounts, though...

the point is that it's up to as to make sense from these situations... that's the funny part, actually :)

agreed, unless well said is a means to well done

but, linguistically, done is still the finality of said... so one must question what done refers to, in juxtaposition to said, i would think action or achieving the aims of what said seems to be framed as: mental masturbation or intention, or bureaucratic bs. so in this case, can said supercede done, meh, who cares, everyone knows i'm all means to ends when i'm invested in outcomes, lol, i re wrote a song for fun in another thread... and i wondered, well said... when practiced and done often enough is what leads one to be able to say think, convince, coerce, or through whatever means, get the ends, im assuming franklin was intending in that quote... so just another tangent... i'm always reminded of people like einstein and their non-linear public productivity, and this begs the question? can we ever extrapolate potential given our reliance, heavily, on externally validated measures..

i sort of have an interest in this, since psychometrics in general, as does educational assessment and in general, pedagogy for the non "holy ****, weberian social selection is down to grade 3" victims of exclusion, not because of cognitive factors, but more, social ones... and well, i hate to be egotistical, but i'm sooo multi-disciplinary that educators will have fun with someone who can design tests with convergent validity, using multiple modalities, because ****, im deep in a ton of disciplines, shoot, add quantitative stats in plus the math, oh man, that's my only missing bullet in the ak-47 i'd like to unleash finally, metaphorically speaking, of course

interestingly, there are tests of motor ability that are so highly valid for predicting degree convergent validity in innumerable measures for adhd... i wonder why they're never used, because top down thinking rather than synthetic thinking dominates mental health, constructivism is better for business, lol... those lyrics, they do hold for me, but god, im expensive, really expensive, lol, and i only sell singular modalities of not ****ing ppl over away at a time i.e. psychometric testing i devise... but political means, any of the other million, still fair game, haha... the lyrics are in ask q for person below u btw

Well done is better than well said.

- Benjamin Franklin

agreed, unless well said is a means to well done

but, linguistically, done is still the finality of said... so one must question what done refers to, in juxtaposition to said, i would think action or achieving the aims of what said seems to be framed as: mental masturbation or intention, or bureaucratic bs. so in this case, can said supercede done, meh, who cares, everyone knows i'm all means to ends when i'm invested in outcomes, lol, i re wrote a song for fun in another thread... and i wondered, well said... when practiced and done often enough is what leads one to be able to say think, convince, coerce, or through whatever means, get the ends, im assuming franklin was intending in that quote... so just another tangent... i'm always reminded of people like einstein and their non-linear public productivity, and this begs the question? can we ever extrapolate potential given our reliance, heavily, on externally validated measures..

i sort of have an interest in this, since psychometrics in general, as does educational assessment and in general, pedagogy for the non "holy ****, weberian social selection is down to grade 3" victims of exclusion, not because of cognitive factors, but more, social ones... and well, i hate to be egotistical, but i'm sooo multi-disciplinary that educators will have fun with someone who can design tests with convergent validity, using multiple modalities, because ****, im deep in a ton of disciplines, shoot, add quantitative stats in plus the math, oh man, that's my only missing bullet in the ak-47 i'd like to unleash finally, metaphorically speaking, of course

interestingly, there are tests of motor ability that are so highly valid for predicting degree convergent validity in innumerable measures for adhd... i wonder why they're never used, because top down thinking rather than synthetic thinking dominates mental health, constructivism is better for business, lol... those lyrics, they do hold for me, but god, im expensive, really expensive, lol, and i only sell singular modalities of not ****ing ppl over away at a time i.e. psychometric testing i devise... but political means, any of the other million, still fair game, haha... the lyrics are in ask q for person below u btw

yk, ... by writing that song you actually have done it well and not said it well ... it's like for each thing we have to choose a finality (you couldn't have sing it on this forum ;)), and Franklin mostly intended really to speak about the finality of the things, about getting to the end, as you said, ...but also, IMO, to point out those characters that are used to speak a lot about what could they have done, or how they are capable to do something, but just don't have enough courage/nuts/perseverence to do what they are speaking about so much...I like Franklin, he was a little bit weird (self-analyzed himself by taking notes) but that made him to stand out of the crowd (at least for his time)...

..what do you mean by externally validated measures used to predict/evaluate one's potential? if you wnat to speak about Einstein, that's not a good example... we can not examine a person and make conclusions about him as a whole using only one criteria (in this case - public contribution), it needs to be something more than this...

e.g. on this forum you could have a super popular/talkative user (just an hypothetical examp. here...) by in real life s/he could be another coward, introvert... public image/contribution is so unrealiable for giving an idea of how someone really is....it's like you said in another thread - being in agroup/society changes your true self, it adjusts you to the environment, NOT too many people are able to keep they self despite the external influence...

and I used here public image and contribution as interchangable, and maybe in another context they would be considered the same, but...speaking about evaluating someone that made a public contribution, why would have he done that if not for his image/recognition including...

Freedom, however, is not the last word. Freedom is only part of the story and half of the truth. Freedom is but the negative aspect of the whole phenomenon whose positive aspect is responsibleness. In fact, freedom is in danger of degenerating into mere arbitrariness unless it is lived in terms of responsibleness. That is why I recommend that the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast.

- Viktor Frankl

to get back to our topics,

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

- Viktor Frankl

this is bull imo. we are determined

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor.

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

what if you are tryign to sail against the wind but it is too strong for you? isn't the importance than just to sail?

these quotes are newb

thanks god you added "imo", because I was going to take this as an absolute truth, pfuue...

what if you are tryign to sail against the wind but it is too strong for you? isn't the importance than just to sail?

these quotes are newb

that is what usually losers repeat, something like it's the participation that matters... sounds familiar...?

these quotes aren't newb, You are a newb, sorry but that's a fact

essentially, external measures refers to traditional societal measures of success, things we publicize, our financial status, etc.

honestly, on the forum, i'm much more inhibited than i have been in life... i'm also far more abrasive than in real life, due to discussing subject matter that i'm really passionate about

in real life, i'm honestly so extroverted it's scary, and i have a bizarre lack of fear, honestly, it's as if my amydala stopped functioning way back... lol, honestly, it's not my intellect that tends to get me the ends i want, it's the fact that i don't rely on intellect, ill go tit for tat farther than most people can reasonably ascertain, based on how socially malleable i can be... if i don't outwit you, cause you decide to go the dirty roots, more fun for me, i love people who assume being smart doesn't mean i can be, at times, what i call an empathic sociopath to serve an appropriate ends... it's like, play fair, i own you, get dirty, believe me, i can go tit for tat till the end, lol

honestly, i prob am less likely to talk foucault and more how thomas vokoun is under-rated in life, unless the prior is of mutual interest, or self interest...

lol, i actually remixed the whole song already... iuno, im contra wut the board posts suggests in so many ways, lol... the board in a way is sort of a venting medium at times, others, time to kill cause my work often involves being on a comp for a day strai8 (you'll notice i post a lot... then don't for days, then a lot...)

i won't like tho, i'm a bit histrionic, enjoy the centre stage, but well, everyone's got their thing, right?

my motivation is very intrinsic, although i do enjoy the lifestyle that comes with my grandiose goals... i've lived it, it's ****ing great... but i've seen things that well, yeah, let's say the majority of my motivation doesn't derive from image... rather sensation seeking/lifestyle and more heavily, intrinsic factors/personal factors.

yk, ... by writing that song you actually have done it well and not said it well ... it's like for each thing we have to choose a finality (you couldn't have sing it on this forum ;)), and Franklin mostly intended really to speak about the finality of the things, about getting to the end, as you said, ...but also, IMO, to point out those characters that are used to speak a lot about what could they have done, or how they are capable to do something, but just don't have enough courage/nuts/perseverance to do what they are speaking about so much...I like Franklin, he was a little bit weird (self-analyzed himself by taking notes) but that made him to stand out of the crowd (at least for his time)...

..what do you mean by externally validated measures used to predict/evaluate one's potential? if you wnat to speak about Einstein, that's not a good example... we can not examine a person and make conclusions about him as a whole using only one criteria (in this case - public contribution), it needs to be something more than this...

e.g. on this forum you could have a super popular/talkative user (just an hypothetical examp. here...) by in real life s/he could be another coward, introvert... public image/contribution is so unrealiable for giving an idea of how someone really is....it's like you said in another thread - being in agroup/society changes your true self, it adjusts you to the environment, NOT too many people are able to keep they self despite the external influence...

and I used here public image and contribution as interchangable, and maybe in another context they would be considered the same, but...speaking about evaluating someone that made a public contribution, why would have he done that if not for his image/recognition including...

honestly, im glad i tried, but i wanna win... the concept of just being, enjoying existence, isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with kicking ass while i also, just be, lol

these quotes are newb

thanks god you added "imo", because I was going to take this as an absolute truth, pfuue...

that is what usually losers repeat, something like it's the participation that matters... sounds familiar...?

these quotes aren't newb, You are a newb, sorry but that's a fact

Maybe you could explain what the "space" is.... Or else the quote sounds like a chinese cookie paper.

As for the second, the first line states that where you go is what matters. But it cannot be, for someone who basks in the riches of his parents could be sailing "in the right direction." However there is nothing quote-worthy about that. Alternatively, you could have someone born in horrible circumstances trying their hardest but not being able to surmount them. The effort could be greater than the coaster's. Isn't it the effort that counts? Either way, I would never call the second person a loser.

What the quote is trying to say, I think, is what I'm saying. It's just worded poorly.

Life isn’t about what happens to us. It’s about how we perceive what happens to us.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim; accept no ones definition of your life; define yourself."

- Harvey Fierstein

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Do not undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."

- Dali Lama

"Follow the three R's: Respect for self, respect for others and responsibility for all your actions."

- Dali Lama

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck."

- Dali Lama

Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship."

- Dali Lama

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover."

- Mark Twain

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless."

- Mother Teresa

"Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment."

- Tao Te Ching

"There is no limit to what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets credit." - John Wooden

Master your past in the present, or your past will master your future.

Trust because you are willing to accept the risk, not because it’s safe or certain.

Dream more of becoming than of obtaining.

Of the parts of animals some are simple: to wit, all such as divide into parts uniform with themselves, as flesh into flesh; others are composite, such as divide into parts not uniform with themselves, as, for instance, the hand does not divide into hands nor the face into faces.

-Aristotle

Maybe you could explain what the "space" is.... Or else the quote sounds like a chinese cookie paper.

As for the second, the first line states that where you go is what matters. But it cannot be, for someone who basks in the riches of his parents could be sailing "in the right direction." However there is nothing quote-worthy about that. Alternatively, you could have someone born in horrible circumstances trying their hardest but not being able to surmount them. The effort could be greater than the coaster's. Isn't it the effort that counts? Either way, I would never call the second person a loser.

What the quote is trying to say, I think, is what I'm saying. It's just worded poorly.

well... I'm back, after an amazing weekend (sorry, but I can not open the forum during the weekends, much more interesting stuff to do out there :)),

I will tell you a few things:

1. a quote is an abstraction by definition - it's not a formula of success that gives you guarantee for obtaining what you want; if it were so, it would have been to easy to live your life ;),

2. speaking about what you said about those children that grow up in more favorable socio-economic conditions, You are NOT correct - I'm far from having such a childhood, and believe me I have who to blame for all my experiences if I decide to (a lot of unpleasant once), but I choose not to blame anyone, and you know why - you solve nothing by blaming someone (even one from your family); you have a problem, and you have to deal with it, it's up to you in what direction you would "sail"; and about those kids - good for them, they had the chance of such parents that understand what is important in one's life,

3. you are right, the effort counts too, even if you do not succeed, but it counts only for you, because YOU put YOUR effort in doing something, but by counting it do not forget that you use it as an excuse for yourself, for your miserable situation, an excuse for not trying further - it's easier to watch TV than to do a couple of exercises from your Calculus I assignment, for example...or to post something on the premed forum instead of doing my job, as I am doing now :)

4. if you do not agree to something I said, I would be glad to pass my coffee break by answering to your posts

well... I'm back, after an amazing weekend (sorry, but I can not open the forum during the weekends, much more interesting stuff to do out there :)),

I will tell you a few things:

1. a quote is an abstraction by definition - it's not a formula of success that gives you guarantee for obtaining what you want; if it were so, it would have been to easy to live your life ;),

2. speaking about what you said about those children that grow up in more favorable socio-economic conditions, You are NOT correct - I'm far from having such a childhood, and believe me I have who to blame for all my experiences if I decide to (a lot of unpleasant once), but I choose not to blame anyone, and you know why - you solve nothing by blaming someone (even one from your family); you have a problem, and you have to deal with it, it's up to you in what direction you would "sail"; and about those kids - good for them, they had the chance of such parents that understand what is important in one's life,

3. you are right, the effort counts too, even if you do not succeed, but it counts only for you, because YOU put YOUR effort in doing something, but by counting it do not forget that you use it as an excuse for yourself, for your miserable situation, an excuse for not trying further - it's easier to watch TV than to do a couple of exercises from your Calculus I assignment, for example...or to post something on the premed forum instead of doing my job, as I am doing now :)

4. if you do not agree to something I said, I would be glad to pass my coffee break by answering to your posts

So stating the circumstances of success or failure is necessarily making excuses - those things that losers do? (addressing #2)

Yeah, agreed. What does that change? So we value effort and good attitudes. If someone is exerting effort and doesn't make excuses and still looks for solutions, are they losers? That's the question.

who said they are? all you do, you do exclusively for yourself - don't look for world recognition by putting some efforts in something, if you would be lucky enough(and what you are doing would be useful for others too) you might be prized for that, but if not, idk, build yourself a statue...if that would help with your selfesteem and narcissist problems...who cares;

one is a loser when s/he thinks of him/herself as such - by not getting into medschool, for someone would be a reason to consider him/herself a loser indeed,

for another in the same situation(not getting in the same medschool) would open an opportunity to do a second degree/pursue a new career/becomming stronger in learning habits...idk, I can continue to INF,

did I answer to your question? I have a feeling that we don't understand each other - you took a few quotes too personally, whilst they are formulated more as a general situation - they don't fit with your believes/experiences... am I right?

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

- John Adams

Archived