Premed 101 Forums

Australia vs. Caribbean Medical Schools

Hi Mash

Thanks. I guess I just chose the default setting. But anyway, did you have to make the distinction between MD vs. DO and why you chose DO rather than MD in your personal statement? I'm just worried that if they look at all my activites, they can tell my goal was to get into a MD school rather than DO/holistic approach. Do you have any advice on how I can write my personal statement to make it more geared towards that? or if you have links to recommend. Thanks again

Why you choose DO vs MD is more of an interview type or secondary type question. I basically modified my OMSAS, AMCAS personal statement into my AACOMAS statement to fit the word limit. I didn't go into why DO, etc, and just focused on the more general topic of why "MEDICINE", what experiences that you've had that made you think MEDICINE was for you. That's just what I did, at the time, I didn't want to pigeon hole myself into primary care or whatever. But I'm sure there are people who focused heavily on why the DO profession called out to them, and how they always wanted to be DOs.

Why you choose DO vs MD is more of an interview type or secondary type question. I basically modified my OMSAS, AMCAS personal statement into my AACOMAS statement to fit the word limit. I didn't go into why DO, etc, and just focused on the more general topic of why "MEDICINE", what experiences that you've had that made you think MEDICINE was for you. That's just what I did, at the time, I didn't want to pigeon hole myself into primary care or whatever. But I'm sure there are people who focused heavily on why the DO profession called out to them, and how they always wanted to be DOs.

Hi Mashmoo, I'm starting to do my AACOMAS application. It doesn't seem to have a place where you have to enter the verifier's contact info for each activity unlike in Amcas. How did they check or should I put this info in the text description.

Hi Mashmoo, I'm starting to do my AACOMAS application. It doesn't seem to have a place where you have to enter the verifier's contact info for each activity unlike in Amcas. How did they check or should I put this info in the text description.

I think they are pretty chill about it, and will take your word for it...

I think they are pretty chill about it, and will take your word for it...

that's certainly a change from all the md applications! lol

one more question, for ECs... they don't seem to have a limit, you think I should put stuff that I only did for like a week or a 1 time volunteer thing? or even camping....coz it's technically a hobby...i don't know where the line draws

also what about manuscripts or poster presentations....

tx again!

I will reaffirm everything Mash said.

My stats are 3.76, 25 mcat, dds degree

Last year I applied way to late (March) and was waitlisted at 2 schools.

This year I received 4 interviews and was accepted at MSU a few weeks ago.

I had my transcripts evaluated by WES, religious affiliations may only affect holidays when it comes to professional school.

I agree that as a Canadian your MCAT should be upper 20's -30's. I didn't get interviews at a lot of schools that interviewed US citizens with my stats (Nova, KCOM, Lecom). I would say that the friendliest schools to Canadians are AZCOM, Western, Touro-NY, MSU (take 25 Canadians)LMU DCOM, KCUMB.

Hope this helps.

regarding WES, when I applied, I didn't get it, and it was fine. A lot of Canadian applicants got scared that their transcript *might* not be acceptable and got the WES. But in my opinion, this is probably unnecessary unless you are particularly keen to part with 300 dollars. As far as I know, Canadians don't need WES. I think 1 school specifically asked for Canadians to do WES, DMU - but they just announced this year that they no longer accepted internationals :)

Hey Mash!

I'm submitting my apps tonight, 1 last question I promise!

Please help, some of these DO schools have religious affiliations? does that mean anything? is it better to have religious or that religion to apply? is it incorporated in the curriculum like some MD schools if it's religious?

Thanks so much

I don't think it means anything. A few schools have Christian affiliations, e.g. William Carey COM.. But, they won't hold religion against you.. I mean imagine that.. that's a class action lawsuit waiting to happen and grounds for indefensible religious discrimination. I don't think the curriculum will be affected in any way, as they are Christian affiliated, they will follow the same calendar as everyone else.

Thanks.

Some friends of mine and co-workers told me to avoid applying to the southern states ie. Mississippi, Alabama if I'm not white (I'm asian)...I'm just wondering if anybody here have any thoughts on this. A friend who went there for work says she's really having a tough time there ie. getting equal treatment at bars, restaurants subtle stuff...most likely at school it'll be fine, but I just wonder if it would make everyday living a problem, it would be tough to constantly feel like you are discriminated against...anybody have any comments about this? thanks

Thanks.

Some friends of mine and co-workers told me to avoid applying to the southern states ie. Mississippi, Alabama if I'm not white (I'm asian)...I'm just wondering if anybody here have any thoughts on this. A friend who went there for work says she's really having a tough time there ie. getting equal treatment at bars, restaurants subtle stuff...most likely at school it'll be fine, but I just wonder if it would make everyday living a problem, it would be tough to constantly feel like you are discriminated against...anybody have any comments about this? thanks

There aren't that many DO schools in the South anyhow. The major ones are in the West, East, North, midwest.

Yes, KCUMB is Canadian friendly.

Anybody know anything about TCOM in Texas? they say they take canadians, just not sure how many compared to the other canadian friendly schools, it's on a separate system though, they don't allow you to pay by credit card so I would have to open up a us account or something....are there other schools like that where I need to have a US account to proceed/accepted?

Anybody know anything about TCOM in Texas? they say they take canadians, just not sure how many compared to the other canadian friendly schools, it's on a separate system though, they don't allow you to pay by credit card so I would have to open up a us account or something....are there other schools like that where I need to have a US account to proceed/accepted?

that's a good question, I was wondering about the same thing, anybody know?

• 2 years later...

Top Australian universities provide infinite opportunities and courses. You can choose from courses including traditional areas of learning and vocational courses as well. All the Australian universities have their own areas of specialization. Most popular streams for Study in Australia are Law, MBA, English and Engineering. If you are also interested in any one of these courses then read on.

Find a School in Australia

Archived