Premed 101 Forums

*Application Timeline

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*phil miller

Date:***8/10/2000 11:49 am*PST

I want to take a year or two off before going into medschool (if I make it!), because I guess once you're in it's a big slog all the way to the end. yuck. I don't know much about the application procedure b/c I'm a lazy buttnutt, so when do you apply, when do you hear back, when do you have interviews, and when do you know if you're in?

for example I have one more year of undergrad, and then I'll plant my ass off all summer to make money for travelling, and hopefully travel by september (I'm going to SE Asia and through India and the middle east - Iran, Iraq, syria, jordan, lebanon, israel!) of next year. so if I want to go into med school september of the following year, what is the timing of everything? do I apply and do all that stuff while still in undergrad and then (if I get in) get the admission deferred? or do I do that stuff before I leave travelling, and come back after a couple months? so can in fact I travel for an entire year continuous?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*kerri

Date:***8/17/2000 10:55 am*PST

Hey. Last summer, I was in the same boat as you, except my degree was already done. I worked my butt off for the summer to make money for travelling and studying for the mcat. I then made damn sure all my applications were complete (including reference letters sent) before i boarded my plane on Nov 3. I spent an awesome three months travelling in New Zealand and Malaysia, but made sure i was back for the beginning of February, when U of Calgary (my first choice school) starts sending letters to notify of interviews. I didn't receive one until the last week of February, which made me wish i'd travelled longer.

So bottom line - travel now, and don't cut your trip short because of med school. There's no experience like travelling - it's absolutely amazing. Med school will always be there, but your youth and freedom to travel won't be. One year doesn't make a huge difference in the big scheme of things anyways, right?

Cheers!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/10/2000 2:18 pm*PST

Maybe the best way to explain this is by example. Let's say you want to be in UBC med starting Sept. 1, 2001.

Your application would be due at UBC by Oct.-Dec. 2000, with the following completed aspects.

- Finished, or will be finished by the end of the academic year UBC pre-requisites: eg. Organic Chem, Biochemistry, etc.

- Finished MCAT (most likely written in April or August 2000) with scores forwarded to UBC.

- Three reference letters, which must be mailed in by your referees while you sent in the remainder of your application.

- Transcripts from all post-secondary (after high school) institutions you've attended.

- Autobiographical statement, and/or other personal statements and essays.

After reviewing your application, the admissions committee (AdCom) will either send you a rejection letter immediately, or will invite you for an interview. Interviews would generally conducted between Jan.-May. 2001 for entry in the Sept. 2001 class.

Acceptance letters could be mailed out at any time following interviews, but are most likely sent out between April. 2001, to the week before class begins. One member of the Class of 2003 was accepted four days before class started.

Deferrals are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to obtain.

Ian, MS2

Archived