Premed 101 Forums

Taking on too much

wall.flower

Last year I wasn't as invovled as I'd hoped to be. So this year I've actually signed up for different clubs and have started to hold different positions. Though, I'm not sure if I've gotten a little carried away. I am VP external for ana club, I volunteer for the School Academic Couselling at my school for 2hrs a week, I volunteer at the hospital for 2hrs a week, as well I help young kids read through a program at my local library 90 min/week . I'm also an active member in a religous group and several other clubs throughout campus. Plus, I am going to research with a professor. The thing is, I"m not exactly sure how much I cann handle and how much is too muhc; I haven't got an idea as to what my limit is. I'm also taking a full course load, and one of the courses is organic, which I'm quite afraid of. I guess my question is how do you know when enough is? Or even better, how do you manage everything at once and do all of it sucessfully? What is the secret to balancing everything? I feel kind of stressed, so any adivce would be very helpful :)

Oh man. This is almost exactly like my second year, except I was also in a troubled long distance relationship at the same time. My GPA in my first year was 3.86. It dropped to 3.66 in my second year. Of course, second year classes were harder and there were more labs. But I think I would have done better if I wasn't emotionally affected. It should be doable. You just have to focus and really manage your time well. However, if you start to feel that it is affecting your academic performance, you should ease off on some of the extracurricular because you can always do those later during the summer.

That sounds like my 3rd year! But it ended up being my best year in terms of GPA. I did no ECs in 1st year and it was my worst year but that's coz I didn't really study much. I guess I like being a busybody, it keeps me motivated and I get things done and do things better. But it was very, very stressful!

But yes you should really focus on your GPA. Sometimes I think its better to do 2-3 ECs only and do them really well - i.e. be committed, responsible, dedicated (and get excellent ref letters out of it too!) instead of doing too many ECs and performing mediocre in all. So my suggestion is to do a few ECs (ones that you enjoy the most), do well in them, and this will also give you plenty of time to perform well in your courses! Good luck :)

It was the same with me- I did nothing in my first year and then went totally crazy in my second. I ended up burned out at the end but I'd gotten what I'd wanted.

What I suggest is taking on activities that you can quit if it becomes too much. Right now, it will look like you can do a dozen things but once exams start rolling around time disappears fast. So don't over commit yourself to several activities that you can't leave at any point (eg. exec positions). Also, pick some flexible activities (there are some clubs at my campus where you can volunteer on a very flexible basis)

Ahh. I've been in the same boat.

What I try to do is list all the things I'm really interested in, estimate realistically the amount of time I would have to give to each thing, and then see if I have enough time to do it all. If I don't, I start crossing things out. I think it's better to do a really good job in a few things than to be stretched out doing many things. ECs are wonderful, but they must be balenced with school work & other obligations too. The worst thing is saying you'll do something and then being forced to quit/do a subpar job.

If don't think you can handle it and are able to leave some things, I'd highly consider it. Don't forget, the year is just starting .. things are going to pick up. You don't want to be in a position where you have to let people down because you can't handle things. And, don't forget, if it so happens that you overestimated how busy you are, you can always add things later :).

But, if you are unable to "cross things out" at this point, I'd ride with it the best you can. It might mean less down time/having to be more reserved in each position. Again, just make sure you're being realistic!

Good luck :P!

Wow!! I'd like to thank everyone for their wonderful feedback! The advice and commment have been very helpful! And Leon, i read that article you posted, and now I kind of feel like I should just focus more on school then anything else...is the right way to think about it? Also what is BTDT?? And I guess the point is to due a smaller number of Ecs to which I can contribute a lot to and do a good job! Thanks everyone!!

I totally relate to this struggle! In fact, I just sent an email withdrawing an application for a volunteer position. The job sounded really great, but I just found out I got on student council, and that position is quite busy at my school.

I would recommend that you read these Study Hacks article on the topic: http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/04/18/how-to-become-a-zen-valedictorian-decreasing-your-stress-without-decreasing-your-ambition/ & http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/03/14/debunking-the-laundry-list-fallacy-why-doing-less-is-more-impressive/

Good reads, thanks. I think the point about quality of one's accomplishments is important. I still put everything of significance on my CV, though.

Archived