Premed 101 Forums

Note taking vs. Highlighting texts

Note Taking vs. Highlighting Textbook? Which one do you prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Note Taking vs. Highlighting Textbook? Which one do you prefer?

• Note Taking
    • Highlighting Textbook

Hey guys... I know this question is more of a common sense kind of thing... I do think that note taking will win anyway... but in most of my courses I find that I spend hours and hours just making notes for a single chapter (and get tired eventually). Especially courses that involve formula, like biochemistry!!! I type all my notes but still, I seem to waste too much time making notes.

So I'm looking for new strategies on studying... right now, I'm just going to highlight my textbooks and see how everything goes but... I wish there are better ways out there... like special note-taking programs (too futuristic?) or scanning application or something... can anyone give me some advise?

And for those of you who are already doctors... do you find yourselves spending too much time making your own notes?

I love note-taking but I find it takes too long in university. I usually just study straight from the textbook for readings and for lectures, I type my notes on the side of PDFs (using PDF X-Viewer, a PDF editor). If I want to emphasize something in particular for the text, I use stickies.

It's not perfect but it's been pretty effective for me so far :P

I really hate taking notes and sometimes I find that I'm just copying right out of the book because it's so boring.

What helps is reading a full paragraph first, paraphrase it, and then write that down (it's usually a lot less writing this way). Ask so yourself "what was the point of this paragraph?". This type of active learning will better consolidate the facts.

I accidentally went to a "how to do well in university" seminar for first years today...I should have went to this last year but better late than never.

Anyways, here's what the lady there told me:

When you read the text book, read with a purpose. First get yourself in the zone by thinking or asking questions about the scope of the topics or lecture.

Then survey the chapter you're about to read(or the section). Get familiar with it like getting familiar with a map before going on a trip.

Then read the summaries or, if there is none, the subtitles and try and get an idea for what the purpose of the chapter is.

Then ask yourself the questions(say if you read a subtitle that said Protein analysis. Ask yourself what methods do they use to analyze proteins? Is it efficient? What do I already know about this?)

As you're reading, it begins to answer your questions and you're in tuned because you're reading with a purpose.

Next summarize out loud/on paper what you just learned(these are your notes. They're only to trigger the material you know so they're short).

Then review it all a little bit later, within 24 hours.

I know it all seems long but I think I'm gonna try it out...See how it goes.

But I read somewhere that highlighting is not TOO great because you're not actively studying, unless you're doing more things besides just highlighting.

Or if you're a visual learner that can memorize words off pages.

Summarizing is the way to go

I only very rarely take notes, especially from textbooks, as it just takes too long. I highlight in my course packs and slides often in multiple colors, and jot little notes down when the prof says something I feel is missing from the notes. Sometimes I'll add a few words here and there when I know it'll help me to remember something.

Exceptions are I have tables listing for example the muscles in anatomy region by region with insertions, nerves, actions. And I have something similar in microbio with bacterias and viruses and so on. I'm very visual so I can remember when I've highlighted stuff and where they were on the slide/page so that works for me. Then when I study I read it out loud too.

I accidentally went to a "how to do well in university" seminar for first years today...I should have went to this last year but better late than never.

Anyways, here's what the lady there told me:

When you read the text book, read with a purpose. First get yourself in the zone by thinking or asking questions about the scope of the topics or lecture.

Then survey the chapter you're about to read(or the section). Get familiar with it like getting familiar with a map before going on a trip.

Then read the summaries or, if there is none, the subtitles and try and get an idea for what the purpose of the chapter is.

Then ask yourself the questions(say if you read a subtitle that said Protein analysis. Ask yourself what methods do they use to analyze proteins? Is it efficient? What do I already know about this?)

As you're reading, it begins to answer your questions and you're in tuned because you're reading with a purpose.

Next summarize out loud/on paper what you just learned(these are your notes. They're only to trigger the material you know so they're short).

Then review it all a little bit later, within 24 hours.

I know it all seems long but I think I'm gonna try it out...See how it goes.

But I read somewhere that highlighting is not TOO great because you're not actively studying, unless you're doing more things besides just highlighting.

Or if you're a visual learner that can memorize words off pages.

Summarizing is the way to go

I should definitely try that =) Thanks for the advice. In fact I'm thinking of going to study workshops.... it's never too late.

Thanks everyone! I will look forward to more opinions =)

Archived