Premed 101 Forums

Second undergrad but low marks due to illness

I've always wanted to study medicine but I've been deterred from applying due to my GPA. So I decided to consider another healthcare profession but now that I have finished the program, I find that something is still lacking even though I enjoyed what I have learned and have started thinking about studying medicine again. I have 2 undergrad degrees - one in life sciences but with a non-competitive GPA of 3.0 and the second in radiation therapy with a GPA of 3.5. I was diagnosed with a serious illness towards the end of my first year in my second undergrad but I decided to continue with my studies. Obviously this affected my marks for the second term of first year and the first term of second year. I was wondering if I would still be considered by any medical school (Ontario, Canada, US) - should I still consider applying?

My GPA is about 3.5 and I got in somewhere! I think you just have to apply wisely and really ace the MCAT.

Mac is a good choice - good verbal (11+) and CASPER required.

Calgary is also a great choice if you can gain Alberta residency.

Manitoba, if you took lots of courses, you may end up with a decent GPA with their AGPA calculation and a monster MCAT as OOP.

Good luck.

Archived