Premed 101 Forums

exemption letter question

Hello, I just sent a letter to admissions about exemption for full course load and to have wGPA applied, however, when I phoned to verify whether they have received the letter the person on the other line said "we cant verify the receipt of any documents". So essentially I guess I just have to hope they got it? Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah.. they won't verify or anything.

If you're unsure they received it .. send it again/send it to OMSAS. Even if they receive it a bit later, they'll probably include it.

that's interesting, so if you need to send any letters to the med schools, do most people send them to OMSAS or directly to the med schools?

and can you also go drop off the letter in person at their office?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I just sent a letter to admissions about exemption for full course load and to have wGPA applied, however, when I phoned to verify whether they have received the letter the person on the other line said "we cant verify the receipt of any documents". So essentially I guess I just have to hope they got it? Anyone else have this problem?

Why do you need to send in an exemption letter? Isn't there a box in OMSAS that asks for that and you need to explain.

They don't want or need more and if you exceed the limit and do it another way to circumvent the process, you certainly have not done yourself any favours. Very complicated situations with multiple factors can be completely explained in 1,000 characters! If you cannot be concise and precise as instructed, bo not expect a sympathetic hearing, especially as you are trying to create special rules just for you alone when others have complied with the rules.

They don't want or need more and if you exceed the limit and do it another way to circumvent the process, you certainly have not done yourself any favours. Very complicated situations with multiple factors can be completely explained in 1,000 characters! If you cannot be concise and precise as instructed, bo not expect a sympathetic hearing, especially as you are trying to create special rules just for you alone when others have complied with the rules.

I was wondering whether I should send a letter to U of T regarding my MCAT score because I had a problem with my computer station when I was doing the Verbal section and I lost like 10minutes? In OMSAS they don't give a place to explain anything about the MCAT score.

Do you think it's a good idea if I mail them a letter explaining the problem I had with my computer station and that I submitted a report with AAMC. This may have affected my score for the verbal section.

Actually they give you 1000 characters not 100.

Heh ok I guess I read wrong. Quite obviously I didn't use the box.

But UofT's admissions website explicitly tells you to send a letter to them if you need special consideration for the weighted GPA formula. Even if you put it in OMSAS, I'd still send a letter to UofT.

OMSAS gives you a line (i think that is the 100 characters) to explain why your academic performance may not have been truly good, whereas U of T allows you to write a short essay (1000 characters) to explain that.

also, is it a known fact that they provide exemption if you write in and explain a bad MCAT score? i mean i know it's upto them if they think your case is legit, but is that even possible, for them to overlook it?

I don't think anyone here can really say for sure, but from what I gather they don't really accept excuses for bad MCATs. I remember reading on the admissions blog last year that their "standards are already quite low", and they quite easily overlook scores that dip 1 (or 2) below their cutoffs.

You can try, it won't hurt. But I wouldn't expect anything.

Since I am a graduate student, should I send the letter with the supplemental graduate application or should I send it separately?

If you don't plan to send in your grad package until December, I would send in your letter separately and do it before November. They do all their wGPA calculations early before the file reviews and so if they don't have your letter, they might overlook the wGPA consideration.

You can always attach a second copy of the letter with you grad package for the sake of keeping everything together as future_doc mentioned.

If you don't plan to send in your grad package until December, I would send in your letter separately and do it before November. They do all their wGPA calculations early before the file reviews and so if they don't have your letter, they might overlook the wGPA consideration.

You can always attach a second copy of the letter with you grad package for the sake of keeping everything together as future_doc mentioned.

thanks for this tip, useful to me also :) and please check your PMs.

Archived