Premed 101 Forums

Thesis Content Matter for Med School?

HelloZX

So I'm in my 4th year at Yorku Psychology and I'm currently in a thesis course(4170). I attempted to do the independent thesis but the proffs that were of interest (primarily neuroscience related) to me unfortunately already had promised to supervise other students. In my thesis course, the class is about a size of 50 and we are suppose to get into groups of similar interests. I most likely will be conducting a thesis that will revolve around social psychology ( I don't mind since the topic that my group is doing is still interesting to me). I was just wondering if the fact that I didn't do a "sciency" (bad term I know) related thesis would affect my application? I'm also considering applying for a MSc in Neuroscience, and I'm assuming it will hurt my application there, but I'm not completely sure of how it will be looked upon by med schools. Any opinions would be great! Thank you.

Short answer: No, it won't hurt your med application.

Long answer: Consider why medical schools value research. Is it the basic science expertise, or the evidence of critical thought/independent work/etc. you are capable of? It's not the former - very few of us are going to become basic scientists. FWIW, I wish I had done a social psych project in undergrad - more relevant to my research interests now.

My thesis project right now is part social psychology, and part clinical psychology. I'm happy that I chose to do a more social psych type project (my other two thesis supervisor choices both do neuroscience). It's definitely a different side of research, and I feel that it's expanded my knowledge base beyond the more traditional sciences.

I'm not sure if it will hurt you if you're applying to a graduate program in neuroscience, although the fact that you've done a thesis will be a huge asset to you!

Archived