Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicant

I am just wondering if you think it is worth it for me to apply to Calgary? 3.90 cumulative GPA... Average EC's: Don't really have any steady volunteer experience but I'm involved in intramuels/a few groups, and I have worked with kids with autism for 3 years as a support worker (full-time in summer, part-time during year).

I just got my MCAT back and I got 11 VR (5P,7B ). I only applied to McMaster in Ontario and thus only studied really for Verbal. Anddd I got an M on the writing sample :( Kind of froze on one of the essays and at the end I only ended up with 2 paragraphs of nothing really.

Anyways, my GPA is decent, should I give it a shot? I have started the application process but haven't submitted anything yet. I am in 3rd year now and I am an Ontario resident. Thanks for the help.

Ahhh, alright. I found what you are talking about... Hmmm. To spend or not to spend $150. Any more opinions? It would be a bit of extra work as I need to put in verifiers for all of my activities/sketch. For McMaster you don't need verifiers.

Do I still use U of C's grading system? If so I have a GPA of 3.95 according to the A+ and A= 4.0 system. I have to decide today if to apply. I feel like my GPA and VR are hovering around the score of the average applicant who receives an interview but the rest of my MCAT and my extracuriculars probably aren't as strong as everyone else (obviously my MCAT sucks).

The things that are stopping me from applying are the: $150 cost, likelihood of not receiving an interview, having to do verifier/write impact statements just for this application, asking my referees to write me another recommendation within 3 days after just having them complete my OMSAS letter of reference a week ago.

If anyone has seen the U of C referee letters, are they long sections with the specific question or are they numerical? And is it all online or do they have to mail it in?

Thanks so much for the help so far.

In my opinion I would apply. If you look at the weight of the subjective component it is very small overall. Plus, the overall MCAT scores will only be a portion of this subjective component. Everyone has one or two weak areas. I think the EC's 60% way overpowers the effect of the 10% subjective component.

Thank you for the advice. My sleuthing skills are lacking because I thought I had read through the application manual but I somehow missed that section at the end.

I feel like the referee letters aren't too time consuming.

My last issue is: if I get my university to send transcripts by tomorrow, how likely is it that the university will receive them before the deadline? The deadline is Saturday evening. I am not sure if I can ask my university to sent it by priority mail. Even if it does reach Calgary by Thursday night, will I know for sure if it got there in the Friday mail? I was under the impression that we just had to request a transcript like with the OMSAS system.

Thanks for the help. If my transcript will get there on time then I could request it tomorrow morning and send my referee emails tomorrow and submit my application on Thursday.

Every university is different for requesting/processing transcripts. It's really down to the wire here, but you can always call your school first thing in the morning and see if they can do an overnight courier.

Also, there is information on the blog about transcripts.

Archived