Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

I have heard multiple "facts" regarding reference letters.

I have heard from an Ottawa grad that reference letters are crucial in getting an interview. I have also heard indirectly from a current senior ottawa student that references are not looked at pre-interview and are only looked at as a tie-breaker.

Can anyone varify?

Thanks

I've heard that references are generally just used as a red flag (not just at Ottawa), not as a key factor for an interview or admission offer - but that's not from an inside source (which the Ottawa grad likely isn't anyway). As for post-interview, there's a general consensus that the tie-breaker post-interview at Ottawa is GPA, so I don't think the claim that it's reference letters is true.

Thats I guess some good news cuz out of the three ref, only 2 got sent in...one of my references had to move to the states so sent it in early August and OMSAS didn't receive it apparently (which I found out recently after paying the fees). He's out of touch right now until mid/late october - early November without phone and he's not responding to his email, so I'm sorta screwed atm....

getting references who are moving during your application time is the greatest frustration. My other reference had a similar situation but it's all good with him however. I swear I feel like the devils tryin to stop me in every way!!!!

Archived