Premed 101 Forums

Update: Expanded scope of practice for nurse practitioners

http://www.cno.org/what-is-cno/regulation-and-legislation/legislation-governing-nursing/faq-bill-179

http://www.npao.org/

NPs can now:

• Admit persons to hospitals.
  • Provide client care orders to be implemented by RNs and RPNs for procedures related to diagnosing and treating clients (e.g., venipuncture to obtain blood samples).
  • Broadly prescribe drugs appropriate for client care (i.e., NPs no longer have to prescribe from a list of drugs).
  • Dispense, compound, and sell drugs in keeping with the regulation.
  • Set or cast a fracture of a bone or dislocation of a joint.
  • Order any laboratory test appropriate for client care (i.e., NPs no longer have to order from a list of laboratory tests).
  • Order diagnostics and treatments for hospital in-patients and discharge patients from hospital. (This does not change the diagnostic test list, which is still in effect for all NPs in all practice settings.)
  • Order services for which patients are insured. (These amendments support the previously noted changes related to ordering laboratory tests and treating hospital patients).

This is making it extremely enticing for me as a soon to be graduating bscn RN to pursue nurse practitioner program instead of physician assistant program if I can't make it to med/dent.

Are PAs allowed to do all of these?

Yes, but as licensure is not yet arranged in Ontario (should be in about a year or so) out-patient prescriptions are not easily done by PAs. There are ways to get around it, and some have, but it's a grey area right now in Ontario. In the USA it is a non-issue. The PA scope of practice is defined by the PA-physician relationship and, essentially, the scope of practice of the physician is the scope of practice of the PA. As a PA student (clinical clerk) I do all of the mentioned items. Eventually, all things are signed-off on by the physician.

Yes, but as licensure is not yet arranged in Ontario (should be in about a year or so) out-patient prescriptions are not easily done by PAs. There are ways to get around it, and some have, but its a grey area right now in Ontario. In the USA it is a non-issue. The PA scope of practice is defined by the PA-physician relationship and, essentially, the scope of practice of the physician is the scope of practice of the PA. As a PA student (clinical clerk) I do all of the mentioned items. Eventually, all things are signed-off on by the physician.

Thanks for the clarification

After a careful thought, if I do decide to pursue a middle level practitioner profession, I'll go for NP instead since I'll be a registered nurse soon anyways.

I think I see a bright future for NP since nursing organization is powerful.

I'm just hoping that they give the green light for NPs to independently open their own clinic/business.

• 4 weeks later...
they have already man ^^^

bunch of NP run clinics opening up around ontario

search for it on youtube dalton mcguinty gives a speech about it

Yep

But what I'm talking about is independently opening your own clinic and billing patients (I would be happy with even 80% of what physicians bill). In US, NPs do this and they bill 85% of what a physician would bill to the insurance.

Those NP clinics you've mentioned are owned by the government, and the NPs working there gets paid a salary.

Archived