Premed 101 Forums

Dilemma

axialpac

Ok, so I'm in my first year of university and so far so good. My dilemma is that, of course like everyone else on here I'm interested in medicine but I also love physics. I initially wanted to complete a physics degree, preferably an honours degree. However, I've come to realize that I probably won't get that high GPA that I should have in order to be competitve as a med school applicant. I feel like I would be self-sabbotaging myself if I do a physics degree. Physics is an extremely rigorous and difficult subject... if i do a physics honours degree my second year course list would look something like this:

-Organic Chem

-Biochem 1

-Biochem 2

-Theoretical physics 1

-Theoretical physics 2

-Quantum physics 1

-Optics

-Electromagnetic Field Theory

-Circuit Theory and Introductory Electronics

-Classical Mechanics 1

......... now that's DEFNITELY not a course load that would get you a 4.3> out of a 4.5 scale (of course my electives are filled with med school requirements ergo the ochem, and biochem courses)

What should I do??? Has anyone on here done a physics degree and done WELL???? ... there's an alternative, however just as rigorous and difficult... a double honours biochemistry and physics degree (http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/ugrad/double_honours_physics_biochem_degree_program.pdf)

Does the biochemistry and physics degree seem reasonable/doable? POSSIBLE that you could get a high GPA???

Or should I just do a biology degree?? That's my third alternative, I do a biology or biochemistry or microbiology major degree with a physics minor?? I know I would do really well in this type of degree.

Please give me your input/thoughts!!!

It's "possible", but like you said, you'll have a heavier courseload to balence with ECs and life. There are people who do it, it's just more tough.

My advice is to choose something that:

- you believe you can do well in

- will let you have time left over for other things

- you enjoy studying (this doesn't mean you have to love EVERY course, it's important that you are interested in your program)

GPA is king for medicine, but remember, if you hate what you are learning, you probably won't do well, even if it is easier.

Everyone is different so it's hard to make an ultimatum that's good for everyone :).

^ I agree with Ekylo.

It comes down to your interests and knowing yourself well. For 30 seconds, I thought about an honours program but I realized that the research aspect not only did not excite me but that the rigour of the program was so tough that I would be shooting myself in the foot in terms of GPA, the risk was overwhelming and this was just not a route that I would consider - if I wanted to be competitive for medicine, where GPA is king.

On the other hand, clinical internships excited me and although tougher and demanding than the normal program, I knew I would love it and therefore, do well. So, by planning a course of study about which I was enthusiastic and knew I could handle by working extrmely hard throughout, I managed to be a straight A student and put in at least 30 hours/week in ECs and volunteering. The trade off was that I sacrificed completely my social life, as I am not the brightest lightbulb in the class by far. I got into med school and it was worth it all.

My point is that by knowing myself, I made good decisions, implemented them well, was able to remain motivated and prioritize my time and effort, stuck to the plan and gained admittance.

Archived