Premed 101 Forums

How do i tell my research prof I want to go to med?

da5id

So the prof I'm doing research with really really want me to be a prof in her field. Now, when I joined her group a year ago I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. But I've decided to try for med. I'm not sure how I should go about telling her this. I want her as one of my referees for the med application so I have to tell her of course.

It's not what I tell her, but how I tell her so that she isn't too uhh affected. Plus if I'm having her as a referee she kinda needs to be in a good mood...lol

I'm thinking of maybe talking about how I enjoyed working w/ her group and what its helped me learned. Then that I also shadowed a doctor and I found this to be more in line with the kind of work I want to do. Then finish by talking about how Ill use what I've learned in my job as a doctor (if I get in) and how I appreciate all shes done for me.

Any ideas/comment/suggestions would be appreciated even if they aren't well thought out.

Thanks.

You can still be a prof. in the field - with an MD degree. You do not need to say medicine is more in line with what you are looking for as medicine can include research. Maybe mention how the field can be applicable to medicine and say that is something you want to pursue.

So the prof I'm doing research with really really want me to be a prof in her field. Now, when I joined her group a year ago I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. But I've decided to try for med. I'm not sure how I should go about telling her this. I want her as one of my referees for the med application so I have to tell her of course.

It's not what I tell her, but how I tell her so that she isn't too uhh affected. Plus if I'm having her as a referee she kinda needs to be in a good mood...lol

I'm thinking of maybe talking about how I enjoyed working w/ her group and what its helped me learned. Then that I also shadowed a doctor and I found this to be more in line with the kind of work I want to do. Then finish by talking about how Ill use what I've learned in my job as a doctor (if I get in) and how I appreciate all shes done for me.

Any ideas/comment/suggestions would be appreciated even if they aren't well thought out.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Honestly... I don't really know why are people so *scared* to tell their profs. When I started working for my prof, my goal was to be a prof and do research, because research excited me. Somewhere down the line though I realized I wanted more.... I wanted clinical aspect to research. So, I just went up to him and said "I know you might not like me after this, but I'm considering applying to medical school" and the only thing he said to me was "It's your life and your dream. :) I'll support you no matter what... but just so you know, doctors have very miserable lives... ;)". Ever since then, he's kept it in his mind that eventually I'll apply and nowadays he even jokes when we're discussing my project with "When you're a doctor...." or "Since you decided towards a more miserable life route", but honestly, he was NEVER angry with me.

He DID however ask me why I decided this and I explained that I ultimately wanted to combine the two. It wasn't scary at all! :) But that could be the way my supervisor is.

Besides, when you become a doctor, you could always re-establish the relationship between you two and add a heck of a lot more to the research field (with clinical background). Just my two cents.

To echo what leap said, but straight up and honest. That way, they won't be blindsided if/when you ask them for a reference letter. And it's not like you're telling them that their work is worthless or something. They're people too and they know that not everyone's going to want to do what they do.

Honestly... I don't really know why are people so *scared* to tell their profs. When I started working for my prof, my goal was to be a prof and do research, because research excited me. Somewhere down the line though I realized I wanted more.... I wanted clinical aspect to research. So, I just went up to him and said "I know you might not like me after this, but I'm considering applying to medical school" and the only thing he said to me was "It's your life and your dream. :) I'll support you no matter what... but just so you know, doctors have very miserable lives... ;)". Ever since then, he's kept it in his mind that eventually I'll apply and nowadays he even jokes when we're discussing my project with "When you're a doctor...." or "Since you decided towards a more miserable life route", but honestly, he was NEVER angry with me.

He DID however ask me why I decided this and I explained that I ultimately wanted to combine the two. It wasn't scary at all! :) But that could be the way my supervisor is.

Besides, when you become a doctor, you could always re-establish the relationship between you two and add a heck of a lot more to the research field (with clinical background). Just my two cents.

The reason why was kind of implied in your own post; not all supervisors would necessarily be the way yours was. In fact, I've heard stories where supervisors would actually take measures to try to prevent their students from going into professional schools and keep them in academia. Not that I think it's appropriate for them to do so, but it could happen.

The reason why was kind of implied in your own post; not all supervisors would necessarily be the way yours was. In fact, I've heard stories where supervisors would actually take measures to try to prevent their students from going into professional schools and keep them in academia. Not that I think it's appropriate for them to do so, but it could happen.

That's why you should pick wisely when picking your supervisor... lol. Pick someone with a great personality who is successful and who will work with you towards your dreams. Easy to say... hard to do.

lol, one of my research profs got really mad at me, even when i was like, but i don't even want to do medicine per se, i want to be a psychiatrist, which is related to psychology, right? (she was a psychology researcher who's one of the top people in her sub-specialty) she wouldn't write me a reference letter, although she was happy to write me one for clinical psychology... so yeah, those people exist, another guy i worked with didn't give half a **** and was like whatever sure (he was a much chiller guy, needless to say)

You can still be a prof. in the field - with an MD degree. You do not need to say medicine is more in line with what you are looking for as medicine can include research. Maybe mention how the field can be applicable to medicine and say that is something you want to pursue.

lol, one of my research profs got really mad at me, even when i was like, but i don't even want to do medicine per se, i want to be a psychiatrist, which is related to psychology, right? (she was a psychology researcher who's one of the top people in her sub-specialty) she wouldn't write me a reference letter, although she was happy to write me one for clinical psychology... so yeah, those people exist, another guy i worked with didn't give half a **** and was like whatever sure (he was a much chiller guy, needless to say)

Psych profs can HATE psychiatrists IMO. I had a research prof at U of T who told me once I got into medicine:

"Whats the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist? About 40k/year. Thats the only difference. Psychiatrists in downtown Toronto make 160k on average, whereas PROFESSORS of psychology make 120k on average."

And I didnt even want to be a psychiatrist lol. He wouldnt write me a letter.

Archived