Premed 101 Forums

MED 2015 Admissions Statistics is now posted

If you read my post I do mention that they ask for your picture/passport at the interview. It doesn't matter which part of the application process they ask for your personal information - they just do and it's unnecessary.
Uh, no. It's not unnecessary. The point of the picture and passport is to verify who you say you are at the interview and again at orientation on the first day of school. They're not secretly choosing people based on looks or name or whatever. Such a wild claim is laughable.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, if you read my post I do mention that they do need to verify who we are!!! I am not claiming that they select based on looks, race, etc. I said having our pictures and passports attached to our applications during the final evaluation process, after the interviews, adds an extra layer of unnecessary subjectivity to the process.

FYI, you are only a number to UBC until you have been invited to interview, unless you apply in the aboriginal stream - and in that case you are self-identifying. It would be illegal for UBC to bias admissions based on age, gender or race.

Are you sure it's illegal? California in well-known in the US for having made it illegal to discriminate based on race, but I don't think that's the case in other states, consider the affirmative action policies that many US schools have.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal in Canada, but I want to clarify that we're not just making assumptions here.

Are you sure it's illegal? California in well-known in the US for having made it illegal to discriminate based on race, but I don't think that's the case in other states, consider the affirmative action policies that many US schools have.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal in Canada, but I want to clarify that we're not just making assumptions here.

agreed, unless you're an adcom, it would be silly to make any assumption.

agreed, unless you're an adcom, it would be silly to make any assumption.

Yes that is true. We also got to remember that ADCOM has access to files which show them the success of previous applicants. So changes to anything can simply be due to the fact that it is correlated with a higher rate of success in previous applicant.s

Uh, no. It's not unnecessary. The point of the picture and passport is to verify who you say you are at the interview and again at orientation on the first day of school. They're not secretly choosing people based on looks or name or whatever. Such a wild claim is laughable.

According to one of the administrators at the interview weekend, the photo is in fact required by the BC College of physicians.

Archived