Premed 101 Forums

Lost Highschool student.

Hey so im currently a grade 12 student, and wish to become a doctor. My grade 12 and 11 average are not the greatest. Around 60 percent for sciences,english and math. So my questions are; Do you think i could get into a pre med college in alberta? Should i upgrade my highschool marks? My real goal is to do undergrad at u of s, but i dont think il be able to get it. Please help

Thanks.

With those marks it is likely that you will need to spend at least one year at a community college. You can still take all the required courses at the college for first year and then transfer to your desired university if your marks are decent.

The institution you attend is not such a big deal in Canada (except for the fact that Ontario medical schools and Dalhousie do not count college courses in GPA because of OMSAS). Think of post-secondary as somewhat of a refresher. The best advice I can give you now is to identify why you have weak grades and attempt to overcome this problem in time for post-secondary.

Good luck!

rank native studies at u of a, when i applied i was in the situation as you and ranked sciences, arts and native studies, if you can get it above 70 you'll prob get into u of a native studies and maybe arts, then you can just take science courses (if you want) and transfer into another faculty after first year. i graduated with a bsc, but only completed 10 classes while actually in the bsc program (bare minimum since arts was giving me a yearly scholarship).

Hey so im currently a grade 12 student, and wish to become a doctor. My grade 12 and 11 average are not the greatest. Around 60 percent for sciences,english and math. So my questions are; Do you think i could get into a pre med college in alberta? Should i upgrade my highschool marks? My real goal is to do undergrad at u of s, but i dont think il be able to get it. Please help

Thanks.

Hey,

I was in a situation like this in grade 12, but ended up being accepted to all the schools I applied to and went straight to university the following september. Looking back, I wish I took an extra year of highschool just to mature and increase my marks even more for scholarships, which would have been helpful throughout undergrad. Plus that terrible 1st year average is stuck with me forever.

Take a step back and figure out why you're not achieving your potential. From there, make the necessary adjustments. Good luck with everything.

I am sure this won't come across in the right manner but here goes:

Take your time to figure out what you REALLY enjoy and what you want to do. You'll save yourself a LOT of effort, wasted time and money in the future.

We rush kids out of school these days so fast that they don't get to experience enough of life to really understand what they enjoy and what makes them happy. Hell, I'm 35 years old and it took me a long while to figure out what I was meant to do with my life (try to understand the meaning of that). I thought being happy meant making odles of money, flying all over, working non-stop, building my reputation and making rich people richer (lol).

For someone ese, maybe those things do make you happy and if it is then that's fine but if so but take the time to try and figure that out ahead of time if you can.

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. There is NO need to *rush* into something. Go work (while improving your HS grades if you wan't to), volunteer at various things, play some sports... try and understand what truly you enjoy and what will make you happy. I can't stress this enough. As Steve Jobs' once said: find your passion.

Hope that doesn't sound condescending. Just trying to share some life experience from an old fart :D

Good luck!

Another year at HS would help. You need a strong basis in the basic sciences to do well in "premed". Once you get into university, bad grades become unforgiving. Atleast medical schools will never see your high school grades. Most importantly, learn from your mistakes and make sure you don't repeat them again.

I didn't attend university right after high school either... had issues in my senior years. I took an extra year to reflect and it made all the difference!

Thanks.

You're in grade 12 and the year JUST started. You have so much time to do a complete 180 and score higher grades. Don't start looking for colleges/extra years yet, you can go straight to uni if you just try right now.

Hey,

I was in a situation like this in grade 12, but ended up being accepted to all the schools I applied to and went straight to university the following september. Looking back, I wish I took an extra year of highschool just to mature and increase my marks even more for scholarships, which would have been helpful throughout undergrad. Plus that terrible 1st year average is stuck with me forever.

Take a step back and figure out why you're not achieving your potential. From there, make the necessary adjustments. Good luck with everything.

Hey thanks for the reply, I just wanted to ask. So even though you got like 60s in grade 12 you still got into pre med? Howd you pull that off? Thanks again I'm going to try getting it together this year and pull up my marks.

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who replied, this helps a ton. So now my question is my grade 11 average was around 60 and what if I bring my grade 12 average to an 80, will universitys or colleges still not accept me due to my grade 11 marks? I have around 60 hours hospital volunteering and around 100 at a vet clinic.

Thanks again guys.

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who replied, this helps a ton. So now my question is my grade 11 average was around 60 and what if I bring my grade 12 average to an 80, will universitys or colleges still not accept me due to my grade 11 marks? I have around 60 hours hospital volunteering and around 100 at a vet clinic.

Thanks again guys.

If I remember correctly, universities only look at gr. 11 marks for early acceptance. Work hard and you still have a very good chance :)!

Best of luck!!

Hey thanks for the reply, I just wanted to ask. So even though you got like 60s in grade 12 you still got into pre med? Howd you pull that off? Thanks again I'm going to try getting it together this year and pull up my marks.

SliceandDice, first off, universities will accept you if your grade 12 grades are good even if you have a dismal grade 11 result. The last poster is correct regarding grade 11 grades are used for early decisions.

Second, if your really low grades are due to study habits, (ie you KNOW inside you that you can do alot better) then you definitely can make it. I believe I held the title for the worst attendence record in my class in high school and thus resulted in terrible grades. After my last year of HS, I vowed never to make that mistake again (along with vowing never to apply again to those universities that rejected me because of my HS grades - a childish thing). The next year, I got my act together and started studying like never before. I really went from the bottom-middle of the class to the very top few just by a simple refocusing. You can do it too.

One must realize that getting into medical school, being a medical student and being a doctor is hard work. Only you know what is holding you back right now. You alone have the power and the opportunity to correct it and make your dream and passion come true. I'm glad that you realized this now for many only hit the brick wall in university.

Actually I'm from Ontario where highschool is easier than Alberta, so I was pulling low 70's in g.11 and high 70's during the first semester of g.12. The other posters are right, g.11 marks only count for early admission. The g.12 marks in semester 1 were not high enough to get into biology/life science programs in ontario, so I basically had to work my ass off in second semester of g.12. It's still early in the year, and there's tons of room for improvement.

You could always try applying to University of Lethbridge. I know they tend to accept people with lower admissions averages compared to Calgary and Alberta. There's also Mount Royal in Calgary that can be used as a bridge between high school and a bigger University like U of C.

But you should try to get your grade 12 marks as high as you can. Try getting a tutor if you don't understand the material.

Archived