Premed 101 Forums

Rads programs that "require" an on-site elective

$$$$$$$$$$$, technology, lifestyle - what else is there lol

ha :) it is a profoundly evolving field. I need that sort of change (I am a programmer so I am used to things advancing constantly - I get bored without that). It is involved is almost all aspects of modern care as well - I am interested in a lot of things and rads touches on most practices.

Plus the interventional side of it really is a hybrid of surgery and imaging - that is where a lot of innovation is happening :)

that is the plan! That is Disney land for people like me :)

yourself?

How many hours a day would you say you spend studying/did back during pre-clinical years?

Do you have any special methods/routines you'd care to share with me? Things you wish you'd done better/tips you'd like to give?

I'd appreciate it.

You're kidding right?

how come lol

Imaging is utilized 24/7. That means radiologists working, or at least on call, 24/7.

Why, what did you think the lifestyle was? I'm curious.

For the reasons LF just stated. Who presents to emerg these days without getting some sort of scan? Clinicians are constantly relying more and more on imaging to make decisions and, in my opinion, the only way to keep yourself as a valuable member of the team is to provide service that makes you indispensable. Doing great work from 8am-5pm just doesn't cut it anymore. The surgeon is up at 2am taking a sick patient to the OR - why can't the radiologist be up as well when an urgent diagnosis needs to be made?

I think it's a terrible misconception that radiology is a lifestyle specialty. Perhaps it used to be when it would take 20 mins to do a CT head. But with technology, not only has the scan time been drastically reduced, but the number of images you have to look at has gone way up (CT head consists of approx 550 images including reformats; previously there would be what? 8-10 images printed on film??). In addition, the amount of knowledge you have to amass in your residency to do your job well is far greater than people realize.

For the reasons LF just stated. Who presents to emerg these days without getting some sort of scan? Clinicians are constantly relying more and more on imaging to make decisions and, in my opinion, the only way to keep yourself as a valuable member of the team is to provide service that makes you indispensable. Doing great work from 8am-5pm just doesn't cut it anymore. The surgeon is up at 2am taking a sick patient to the OR - why can't the radiologist be up as well when an urgent diagnosis needs to be made?

I think it's a terrible misconception that radiology is a lifestyle specialty. Perhaps it used to be when it would take 20 mins to do a CT head. But with technology, not only has the scan time been drastically reduced, but the number of images you have to look at has gone way up (CT head consists of approx 550 images including reformats; previously there would be what? 8-10 images printed on film??). In addition, the amount of knowledge you have to amass in your residency to do your job well is far greater than people realize.

What the hell do imaging techs do then if that's the Radiologists job?

• 4 months later...

Does Ottawa still have a visible bias favouring people who completed an elective at their site? My 2-week rads elective at Ottawa is conflicting with my 1-month elective at McGill, and I'm unsure which one to cancel. The elective at McGill looks amazing, but I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage when I'm applying to the residency programs.

Any way you can do two electives: Ottawa and another one, instead of one month at McGill? One month is a TON of time for an elective. I know that is what their policy says but that is such bull.

I can do Ottawa and an elective at my home school (which I filled just in case I can't find another). However, I already did an elective at my home school (albeit another hospital). So I don't know whether spending an extra two weeks at my home school is worth it. Yeah I don't know why McGill demands 4 week electives...really makes for some tough decisions.

Unless you are set on QC, you could visit two schools in that time frame. The value of the extra home elective depends on how well known you currently are. Do you already have people who are going to advocate for you, or were you just a face passing through the department?

I know a few radiologists at the one site I rotated through, and have done a lot of research with one of the radiologists. He told me I'll be getting an excellent letter for Carms, as I did research and clinical work with him and he was impressed. However, none of those radiologists are on the residency committee that decides who gets a spot for residency. The PD is at the site I have the option to rotate at, so that may work in my favour.

Archived