Premed 101 Forums

Bugs in the online reference letter submission?

I followed up with one of my reference letter writers today on whether she had submitted it. She was at a conference and out of town for the past 3 weeks and she said she is planning to submit it tomorrow. I was hoping she would have sent it earlier as I didn't want to leave it to the last minute in case some tech problem comes up...

Have there been any other reports on technological problems or bugs with the reference letter system that haven’t been resolved yet?

I just realize that the admissions office won't respond to any calls or emails right now, so I'm getting a bit paranoid about glitches in the system.

If the problem is actually a software or technological fault, and we email that we are having problems BEFORE October 15th (so its at least documented), do you think they will still accept it after wards? Technically, it wouldn't really be the reference letter writers fault, right?

I have discovered a bug involving the use of past references. The system remembers en email address you used previously. I'm not sure if they fixed this, but one of my references kept receiving an email dated from two years ago, so it sorted to the back of her email messages and she didn't see it. We fixed this problem by using her alternate email address. If your referee doesn't receive the email, try entering another address.

One of my references hadn't received the login details from Calgary after I requested it be sent to his email. He checked his spam filter, I made sure the email was correct, but he had nothing. I re-requested an email to be sent to them and now I am just waiting to hear back.....

IT problem or not, if a reference letter doesn't submit their letter by October 15th your outta luck...

Did you get a response back about the link? It can be a firewall. Get that checked out. Keep me posted how things go... My referee is submitting today or tomorrow which is make me pretty nervous that she's pushing it back so late...

If I understand correctly they just base your reference section on the strength of the references that they DO receive.

I have one referee who failed to submit in time (despite speaking to him on the phone 2 days ago), so I'm hoping that it won't disqualify me. I just submitted today despite the fact that it is showing as not submitted.

Dr. Walker noted that it won't disqualify you (correct me if I am wrong), but a reviewer will have less to assess you on. This may put you at a disadvantage, but perhaps you already have a really high score in the attribute you asked the referee to discuss, so it might not. It really depends on a case by case basis I guess..

Under app status it says "received" next to each of my referees names, but it gives me a red exclamation mark next to 'Reference' - is this OK? I want to submit, but this discrepancy is bothering me! Does anyone else have the same problem?

NVM. I had to hit 'save' in the reference section. The red exclamation mark has gone! I can submit in peace.

Archived