Premed 101 Forums

NewDirection Introduction

Hello fellow Non-trads!

I have been reading the boards for a while and have been incredibly impressed by first of all, the tenacity and dedication of all medical school hopefuls and successful applicants, and second of all, the inspiring non-traditional stories. As I begin my own non-trad journey, I would like to introduce myself and add my story to the mix.

I am 27 years old and graduated from school with an undergraduate degree in Economics. I did quite poorly the first two years (under 2.5 GPA) and significantly better my last two (~3.6 when converted to OMSAS, ouch!). I am married to a wonderful, supportive person and have a mortgage. I am fortunate to have landed a good job after graduation which has allowed me to lay the financial foundations for my return to school. While I have no kids yet, I do hope to have some soon.

I will soon (Sep 2012) be starting a second undergraduate degree, which I hope to complete in two years, and then go on to apply to the usual suspects for second degree holders, Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. Plan B being going to school in the States. I have very little science background but have just completed high school Chemistry. I will be taking Physics in the winter. For my second undergrad I'm thinking Kinesiology at York.

I am also just starting out on accumulating EC's. This is something I have not done much of over the past few years so I am looking at my options.

As you all know, this forum is an invaluable resource and the non-trad stories posted here are very inspirational. For some people, they may even make the difference between choosing to jump in and pursue this difficult path and seeing it as impossible.

I will keep the board updated on my progress. If I forgot any details please let me know.

Congrats on your new adventure. It's a whirlwind let me tell you! lol

Is there a reason why you are contemplating Kine? Reason I ask is because maybe there is something else you can take which can be combined with your Economics (and business I presume?) background as a fail-safe plan should meds not work out? Just being realistic as I've had to accept the same realism in my second UG pursuits.

I initially applied to Kine at York as it seemed to fit well with my background and interest in athletics. I came to find out that I was not accepted (despite being told I shouldn't have any issues) due to my application not being reviewed in time before all the spots were filled. I decided to pursue a double major in health management and policy as that fit VERY well with my business background and my interest in the health care field. If meds doesn't work out then I am very well positioned to capitalize on my academic studies in heath studies + business and my previous career as a business exec.

I am using electives to get pre req requirements as well as classes that I find interesting (like physiology).

I am not suggesting you need to do the same, just throwing out there another idea to consider in your route back to school :)

Good luck!

Hello fellow Non-trads!

I have been reading the boards for a while and have been incredibly impressed by first of all, the tenacity and dedication of all medical school hopefuls and successful applicants, and second of all, the inspiring non-traditional stories. As I begin my own non-trad journey, I would like to introduce myself and add my story to the mix.

I am 27 years old and graduated from school with an undergraduate degree in Economics. I did quite poorly the first two years (under 2.5 GPA) and significantly better my last two (~3.6 when converted to OMSAS, ouch!). I am married to a wonderful, supportive person and have a mortgage. I am fortunate to have landed a good job after graduation which has allowed me to lay the financial foundations for my return to school. While I have no kids yet, I do hope to have some soon.

I will soon (Sep 2012) be starting a second undergraduate degree, which I hope to complete in two years, and then go on to apply to the usual suspects for second degree holders, Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. Plan B being going to school in the States. I have very little science background but have just completed high school Chemistry. I will be taking Physics in the winter. For my second undergrad I'm thinking Kinesiology at York.

I am also just starting out on accumulating EC's. This is something I have not done much of over the past few years so I am looking at my options.

As you all know, this forum is an invaluable resource and the non-trad stories posted here are very inspirational. For some people, they may even make the difference between choosing to jump in and pursue this difficult path and seeing it as impossible.

I will keep the board updated on my progress. If I forgot any details please let me know.

Thanks for your advice aaronj! It is indeed wise to be prudents when it comes to such a challenging path.

If meds doesn't work out I can always go back to my present occupation, which is fairly interesting as well.

As for meds, if I can't get admission in Canada or the US I would likely be willing to go to the Carribean (and even do residency in the States if it came to that).

Thanks for your advice aaronj! It is indeed wise to be prudents when it comes to such a challenging path.

If meds doesn't work out I can always go back to my present occupation, which is fairly interesting as well.

As for meds, if I can't get admission in Canada or the US I would likely be willing to go to the Carribean (and even do residency in the States if it came to that).

hopefully your wife shares your senitments for going abroad ;)

hopefully your wife shares your senitments for going abroad ;)

I was just thinking that you must have a very supportive wife for her to support your hardened determination to become an MD regardless of the lenghts of having to go abot this (i.e. Caribean) ... my dreams of becoming a doc end outside of the Canadian border, hats off to those that are that determined to go anywhere to reach their goal.

Good luck.

Beef

NewDirection:

Interesting story! It sounds like you have done your research and have a real plan in place.

Just a couple of things though.

1. Please think very carefully about your options, specifically WRT the carribean. There are many, many other issues with that route, and honestly as an older student, even though it seems "faster", there is so much uncertaity that I just don't think I can do it. Listen to what the deans of admissions are saying- they say not to do it.

2. Are you a guy or a girl, because the 2 who posted before me think you're a guy (or at least that you have a wife) and I read your post as female. Funny!

Archived