Premed 101 Forums

OOP chances please

hi guys

posted this in a couple of other threads but got no replies, so thought i'd ask again, hopefully someone can help me out.

VR = 8

GPA (calgary calculations) = 3.73 (if rounded up, it's 3.74)

good references

good/excellent ECs

OOP applicant

worth it to apply? would i even be in the running to make the initial cut for the top 200/250? thanks everyone!

Hi anon,

They won't look at your EC's and references unless you get into the top 250. As a result you are stuck with assessing just your VR and GPA. Based on your scores I am concerned that your VR may not be high enough to push you into the top 250.

However, that being said the application fee is only $150 and you just never know what will happen. The changes in how they evaluate the EC's may prevent many people from applying and push the scores down (or the opposite could very well happen as well). On top of that we don't know how VR relates to GPA yet. Many strong science students may have lower VR scores, who knows? It's so hard for us to judge in the forums, particularly with all the changes. I would always lean towards applying, particularly if you have finished most of the application at this point. It will give you valuable information for next year if you are unsuccessful.

Again this is tough to answer. OOP stats tend to change more than IP stats, so what is competitive one year may not be in the next. I did take a peak at the stats from last year and the average GPA of the top 200 was 3.88, so 3.7+ is probably competitive. The average VR though was 11. Obviously the lower your VR the higher your GPA would need to be.

That being said, the changes in the application may scare many people off, so it wouldn't hurt to try. I would hate to say that someone wasn't competitive, only to find out the stats dropped this year due to the changes. I would say you are definitely close enough to try, $150 is cheap in the long run.

They've kind of made it in a way that GPA won't matter as much, and it's really relying on your verbal score. --> because 0.5 of a GPA (which is huge) is only 1 mark difference on verbal.

For example I don't have a great GPA (only 3.64), but I have a 14 on verbal, so my total score is 21.2/23 vs someone who has a 4.00 GPA and only 10 on verbal whose score is only 18.

IMO (which may be completely wrong, so don't follow my advice if you don't want to), but I don't think it's worth applying if you have less than a 17 (at the lowest!!), since they only take 250 students or so to full-file review (and remember that's from all over Canada).

But then again if you do make it through, your great GPA will reflect in the Academic Ability and GPA sections.

Are you sure that it it is just 2*GPA + VR, or is it 2(standardized score GPA)+(standardized score VR). It seems like your formula leads to a weighting of GPA/MCAT that is inconsistent with the rest of the file review process.

Are you sure that it it is just 2*GPA + VR, or is it 2(standardized score GPA)+(standardized score VR). It seems like your formula leads to a weighting of GPA/MCAT that is inconsistent with the rest of the file review process.

I would imagine that the OOP scoring is using standardized scoring (although I have no evidence of this)

I would imagine that the OOP scoring is using standardized scoring (although I have no evidence of this)

I have no evidence either; however, Dr. Walker has emphasized many times there is an aim to have evaluation consistent across the process. So based on this, standardized scores make WAY more sense than just straight GPA/MCAT scores.

They've kind of made it in a way that GPA won't matter as much, and it's really relying on your verbal score. --> because 0.5 of a GPA (which is huge) is only 1 mark difference on verbal.

I don`t think this is accurate because the GPA and Verbal scores they are using are standardized, not raw scores.

Just for interest's sake, I applied last year as a BC resident. They count your Graduate degree years towards your best 2 years (pre-file review score- so long as you have one full course equivalent each year) so I was really fortunate as I had a 4.0 for each of my M.Sc. years.

I have an 11 in VR, and my score came out to be 451 and some change, the cut-off was 452 and some change. That was slightly frustrating haha. Anyways, just to give you an idea of the kind of score needed. Mind you, the score will obviously fluctuate from year to year.

Hopefully people with slightly lower VR scores are applying this year!

Just for interest's sake, I applied last year as a BC resident. They count your Graduate degree years towards your best 2 years (pre-file review score- so long as you have one full course equivalent each year) so I was really fortunate as I had a 4.0 for each of my M.Sc. years.

I have an 11 in VR, and my score came out to be 451 and some change, the cut-off was 452 and some change. That was slightly frustrating haha. Anyways, just to give you an idea of the kind of score needed. Mind you, the score will obviously fluctuate from year to year.

Hopefully people with slightly lower VR scores are applying this year!

Just to note, pre-file review score doesn't just look at best 2 years anymore. And I think they used to evaluate VR and BS. My point: evaluation is drastically different this year.

4.3 Standardized Scoring

All scoring of application components will be done using standardized scoring. What this means is that the raw scores assigned by the assessors (or calculated in UCAN for GPA and MCAT VR) are converted to standardized scores based on the distribution of scores obtained by all applicants within a given year’s applicant pool. Under this system, the mean score for a given application component will be designated as a score of 100, with a standard deviation of 15. If an applicant’s score is one standard deviation above the mean score in a particular area, his or her score will therefore be 115.

GPA Examples

Brian is in his 4inal year of his BSc. His annual GPA has been 3.12, 3.4 and 3.3. Since he is graduating this year, his 4irst year is eliminated, and his GPA for applying is calculated as 3.35.

Clare has been out of school for 2 years. She has a BA and an MA. Her annual GPA’s for her BA were 3.7, 3.2, 3.6 and 3.1. Her GPA in her MA was 3.8. Her 3.1 year is eliminated, and her calculated GPA is (3.7+3.2+3.6+3.8) / 4 = 3.575.

Tyler is in the last year of his MEd. He has a BSc. His annual GPA’s have been 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 3.7. His GPA in his Masters is 3.8. Because his MEd is not complete, it is not included in his GPA calculations. His 3.7 year is removed, and his GPA is calculated as (3.8+3.9+4.0) / 3 = 3.9.

Candace is in the 4inal year of her BComm. Due to family commitments, she has completed only two years full time, having completed the rest of her courses on a part time basis. Her GPA in her full time years has been 3.8 and 3.65. Since she only has two full time years, she is not eligible to drop a year from the GPA calculations, and her application GPA is calculated as (3.8+3.65) / 2 = 3.725

If it is one standard deviation below, it will be 85. For example, if the mean VR score for all applicants is 8.9, with a standard deviation of 2, then an applicant with a VR score of 11 will have a standardized score of slightly greater than 115. An applicant with a VR score of 5 would have a score of slightly greater than 70. It is important to keep in mind that standardized scores are based upon a mean score, and are not therefore “out of” any particular number.

Archived