Premed 101 Forums

Why are some people so SMART?

So I was in the study room and heard a couple of guys talking and one of the guys was bragging about how he studied the day before a physiology midterm and still managed to get an A+. I've never taken a physio class so I don't know how hard it is, but he was also saying that he did pretty much nothing for biochemistry and got A+ on the midterm. But to me, for biochem, there is NO WAY to cram all the info in only one night. By the way, my school is known for having one of the most difficult life sciences program in the country so it's not like I'm trying to make my school sound like a joke. I don't think it is anyway.

I also know this another guy who says stuff like I cram all the time I never go to lecture blah blah and I still get A+ etc.

Call me naive but I half believe what they say and I want to know how the heck they study. I would ask them and they would just act as if they're super super smart and I'm the dumb kid.

Has anyone here heard of those "self-proclaimed genius" and know the secret behind their easy A+? Some sort of miraculous study method maybe? (Or am I just being unrealistic here?)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't bother..

Some really do only cram. Others want others to believe they do as if that automatically makes them superheroes or something. It doesn't matter what they do, what matters is that you find what works for *you*.

For example - I study a little every day so, and do boosts 7-10 days ahead of exam time (even if I have other exams). Often by the time the exam rolls around, I have nothing left to do besides do a quick review the night before. Say this week I have a microbio midterm on Friday. I haven't really studied since Sunday but I know I'll have more than enough time tomorrow pm to review quickly and do well on the test because I've taken the time to really understand the material already as opposed to cramming everything in.

I don't like cramming (generally except for useless courses), while I have friends that do only that. And if you have to work for your grades, then you've probably learned more about the subject and yourself.

Truly smart people don't need to brag. Trust me.

Completely agree.

Maybe they weren't actually smart? Maybe they're smrt? ;)

Or maybe they're like geniuses. Or took a similar class at a college/uni and credits didn't transfer so they have to take the same stuff again? Or they were just trying to freak people out? Lots of possibilities. Don't sweat. I can study an hour before a language midterm/final and ace it. If I did that for physics, calculus, or any other math related thing, I'd get an F. Maybe they just "get" that stuff easily.

Or maybe they're telepathic and already know all the answers of what's going to be on the exam so they don't need to study at all ;) hehe!

I also know this another guy who says stuff like I cram all the time I never go to lecture blah blah and I still get A+ etc.

Call me naive but I half believe what they say and I want to know how the heck they study. I would ask them and they would just act as if they're super super smart and I'm the dumb kid.

Has anyone here heard of those "self-proclaimed genius" and know the secret behind their easy A+? Some sort of miraculous study method maybe? (Or am I just being unrealistic here?)

Well, I can tell you with total clarity that I am not the shiniest apple or brightest lightbulb and I have had to work incredibly hard always for my grades. If there are such people as you describe, I have never met any. I have always competed against just one person - myself. Yhe name of the game is to be the best I can be, and for sure, it takes an incredible amount of hard work. Far more perseverance and sweat and no genius. :) LF tells you where it is at, ignore and stay away from such people.

A lot of people don't understand the rate at which your brain is capable of learning. Its tremendous, if you train for it. Ex: I always listen to all my lecs at double speed, it just sounds natural for me now. I'm basically limited to how fast I can take notes with my hand. But anyways why concern yourself with those people. Unless you want to enter the dark arts of cramming yourself. ;)

...I study a little every day so, and do boosts 7-10 days ahead of exam time (even if I have other exams). Often by the time the exam rolls around, I have nothing left to do besides do a quick review the night before. Say this week I have a microbio midterm on Friday. I haven't really studied since Sunday but I know I'll have more than enough time tomorrow pm to review quickly and do well on the test because I've taken the time to really understand the material already as opposed to cramming everything in.

I don't like cramming (generally except for useless courses), while I have friends that do only that. And if you have to work for your grades, then you've probably learned more about the subject and yourself.

By far the best LEARNING advice. Take the time to learn the material as it is presented to you. That way, after the exam, you still have the course(or most of it) inside your head...which is, after all, why you're paying 6grand or something a year in undergrad right?

There's a quote by Lao Tzu that goes something like:

He who knows does not speak.

He who speaks does not know.

Just thought I should mention it.

Lol. I remember those days.

Most people that claim to cram for exams and ace them are lying. Either that, or they study a bit every day and therefore don't need to study much before the exam (they conveniently leave out this fact), or they got lucky (it happens. I studied the night before for a biochem exam once and did in fact get an A+. I'd be lying to you if I didn't admit to getting lucky as all hell though.)

I wouldn't associate exam scores too highly with intelligence either. Most exams don't involve a terrible amount of higher level thinking. If you're intelligent enough to learn the material you're intelligent enough to ace the exam if you put in the work required. I would hardly believe that being a 'genius' would give you any sort of advantage academically over someone else that is 'smart enough' to get the job done.

agreed...

some people do cram, but they use lecture times really efficiently , so by cramming, they just need to refresh their memories.

I wouldn't bother.. Some really do only cram. Others want others to believe they do as if that automatically makes them superheroes or something. It doesn't matter what they do, what matters is that you find what works for *you*. For example - I study a little every day so, and do boosts 7-10 days ahead of exam time (even if I have other exams). Often by the time the exam rolls around, I have nothing left to do besides do a quick review the night before. Say this week I have a microbio midterm on Friday. I haven't really studied since Sunday but I know I'll have more than enough time tomorrow pm to review quickly and do well on the test because I've taken the time to really understand the material already as opposed to cramming everything in. I don't like cramming (generally except for useless courses), while I have friends that do only that. And if you have to work for your grades, then you've probably learned more about the subject and yourself. Completely agree.

Those people lie. I know because I'm a liar when it comes to exams myself. Not that specific kind though, I just tell people I haven't studied alot when I have. This is more because its embarrassing to admit how much of a nerd I am and not cos of some hidden intention, LOL.

I knew it!

10char

Okay I'm anonymous so you know I'm telling the truth when I say: I have not studied for human phys yet. Promise, haha.

this I actually believe and so far, for me, I've only put in roughly a day and won't have any time until next Friday night to get back to it.

Speaking of phys... I am gonna try holding a study session NEXT Saturday morning. You're welcome to join us if you want...

Archived