Premed 101 Forums

Why are some people so SMART?

this I actually believe and so far, for me, I've only put in roughly a day and won't have any time until next Friday night to get back to it.

Speaking of phys... I am gonna try holding a study session NEXT Saturday morning. You're welcome to join us if you want...

I just might. When and where? can't promise though. I usually have training on Sat mornings though. (gym)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well I ended up teaching most of it to 2 of the 3 people who came yesterday so that's either a good thing for me or a very bad thing for them. Jury is still out on which lol

Usually people who join study groups need the help. But you also are trying really hard (so it seems) so maybe it's a bit of both? aha.

Usually people who join study groups need the help. But you also are trying really hard (so it seems) so maybe it's a bit of both? aha.

I like study groups as it gives me a chance to actually discuss things with other people. Talking ABOUT it helps me learn it and frankly, I can only bore my fiance for so long talking to her about it before she falls a sleep lol

I was the same way when she was doing her UG and Masters in Engineering haha SOme of my best naps back in the day lmao

I like study groups as it gives me a chance to actually discuss things with other people. Talking ABOUT it helps me learn it and frankly, I can only bore my fiance for so long talking to her about it before she falls a sleep lol

I was the same way when she was doing her UG and Masters in Engineering haha SOme of my best naps back in the day lmao

It doesn't look as weird talking with a group as opposed to talking to yourself like I do ;)

Study groups are cool if you're not the cramming type. Although a cramming study group is an interesting idea...

How could anyone need notes on top of those giant note-pack bricks you get????????

Pfft. People actually read the brick of notes? I make notes cause I don't wanna read theirs', lol.

Truly smart people don't need to brag. Trust me.

This is true.

-

-

-

Also, sometimes I might be super worried and say that I didn't study.

People's definition of not studying is different.

For me, I still did my readings, attended lectures, answered all the problems/assignments, asked questions.

It's just the actual memorization part I may have only done once the night before, and then I say OMG I DIDN'T STUDY and I STILL GOT A __!?

I only say that to like my mom though.

I hate when people talk/ask about marks :-/

Tried it.. does not work.

If you have mastered the art of procrastination and cramming, study groups are not for you.

No I didn't mean a traditional study group. I meant a study group of l33t crammers. IMO that has potential...maybe. I dunno I'm not sure how study groups work in the first place. :rolleyes:

Tried it.. does not work.

If you have mastered the art of procrastination and cramming, study groups are not for you.

One girl asked me to join her study group and she's a really awesome person. I said I can only study by myself because I cram. I'm pretty sure she got the wrong idea...it's not that I don't WANT to work in a group, it just wouldn't work :-/

Study groups are cool if you're not the cramming type. Although a cramming study group is an interesting idea...

Trying that this term. I'm tired of studying for UT so I'm last minute cramming everything.

Today, each of us in a group of 6 split chapter readings between us and summarized our chapters, then came together to exchange summaries aloud. It was extremely efficient, saved massive time, and was very helpful for the exam that followed 4 hours later. :D

No I didn't mean a traditional study group. I meant a study group of l33t crammers. IMO that has potential...maybe. I dunno I'm not sure how study groups work in the first place. :rolleyes:

One problem would be, l33t crammers do their dirty work starting at midnight, its hard to gather people at that time. lol

One girl asked me to join her study group and she's a really awesome person. I said I can only study by myself because I cram. I'm pretty sure she got the wrong idea...it's not that I don't WANT to work in a group, it just wouldn't work :-/

Ya I have been there, I never do things before (which is a bad thing) and when people ask me questions like a week before the exam and I cant answer them they think I am trying to ignore them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that these people lie like you guys are all claiming. I wouldn't want to be an internet douche myself, and I am not really bragging because its not really something to brag about, but I usually study only about 1 or two days before my midterms and I pull off pretty reasonable marks. Of course, it has screwed me the odd time when I didn't leave myself enough time to cover all of the material, but usually I get good results.. I still go to all of the lectures/take good notes.

I wouldn't recommend it, honestly, it is a stressful experience.. Makes you feel like you are never on top of things the whole semester, and makes it hard to enjoy the university experience I think. Also, you never really remember anything that you studied so you look back on your last 3 years of university and ask yourself if it was actually worth it.

I have been doing tests this way for the last 7 years though since grade 9, so you kind of get good at information loading the day before (and information dumping after the exam). I would say it is really a discipline issue for myself :/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6378985927858479238

this woman was designed by her father to be a chess player, her father was a psychologist and taught her how to play chess at 5, and practiced for hours and hours a day, she ended up being the first female grand master. essentially a lot of "designed" geniuses have just had so much experience in a particular subject matter that they're able to chunk the information in complex abstract ways... they'll hear the first few sentences of the argument and will almost map out all of the different worldviews which commonly cluster together from that argument so they can anticipate what you're going to say via automatic associations, it's almost intuitive, they don't have to think through the logic of what follows from their argument, it's because instead of storing 7 facts in their working memory, they're storing 7 abstract clusters of information and they can choose any one of those, which are automatically linked to each other, choose what topic they'd like to use from that paradigm and suddenly that links to another cluster of connected topics. these people are like hockey players with great "hockey vision", they've seen the same plays play out so many time that they can anticipate different linear strings of possibilities. when they showed this particular woman a chessboard for only 3 seconds she could recreate where every piece was, when they showed her the same board when the pieces were randomly assorted she said the assortment made no "sense" and could only put 5 or 6 pieces back on, clearly she was chunking, but her chunks were very abstract, because they can't be linguistically named, because the formations only become recognizable and common after seeing them thousands of times... which also makes them highly idiosyncratic. the fact that we can't linguistically label the groupings she's using makes her seem like a genius but really she's just using what lay people call intuition, basically trying to intuit what future moves the person will make based on complex formations she's recognized before so she's moving 3 or 4 steps ahead while the other person is thinking 1 step at a time, just like most of the people she played, which means her predictions are probabilistically going to be correct, and even if you miss on the first move, then the pattern changes and she just has a new probabilistic formation, it's like playing against a supercomputer.

i think these people probably had a lot of previous experience in the subject (as per above), are lying (they just started "studying" the night before, because they don't count reading it an hour a day as "studying", or just want to seem "smarter" than they are, or their studying the night before consisted of starting at 9 am the day before and studying until 3 am (18 of 24 hours before the test)), or are using methylphenidate/amphetamines to pull all nighters.

So I was in the study room and heard a couple of guys talking and one of the guys was bragging about how he studied the day before a physiology midterm and still managed to get an A+. I've never taken a physio class so I don't know how hard it is, but he was also saying that he did pretty much nothing for biochemistry and got A+ on the midterm. But to me, for biochem, there is NO WAY to cram all the info in only one night. By the way, my school is known for having one of the most difficult life sciences program in the country so it's not like I'm trying to make my school sound like a joke. I don't think it is anyway.

I also know this another guy who says stuff like I cram all the time I never go to lecture blah blah and I still get A+ etc.

Call me naive but I half believe what they say and I want to know how the heck they study. I would ask them and they would just act as if they're super super smart and I'm the dumb kid.

Has anyone here heard of those "self-proclaimed genius" and know the secret behind their easy A+? Some sort of miraculous study method maybe? (Or am I just being unrealistic here?)

this woman was designed by her father to be a chess player, her father was a psychologist and taught her how to play chess at 5, and practiced for hours and hours a day, she ended up being the first female grand master. essentially a lot of "designed" geniuses have just had so much experience in a particular subject matter that they're able to chunk the information in complex abstract ways... they'll hear the first few sentences of the argument and will almost map out all of the different worldviews which commonly cluster together from that argument so they can anticipate what you're going to say via automatic associations, it's almost intuitive, they don't have to think through the logic of what follows from their argument, it's because instead of storing 7 facts in their working memory, they're storing 7 abstract clusters of information and they can choose any one of those, which are automatically linked to each other, choose what topic they'd like to use from that paradigm and suddenly that links to another cluster of connected topics. these people are like hockey players with great "hockey vision", they've seen the same plays play out so many time that they can anticipate different linear strings of possibilities. when they showed this particular woman a chessboard for only 3 seconds she could recreate where every piece was, when they showed her the same board when the pieces were randomly assorted she said the assortment made no "sense" and could only put 5 or 6 pieces back on, clearly she was chunking, but her chunks were very abstract, because they can't be linguistically named, because the formations only become recognizable and common after seeing them thousands of times... which also makes them highly idiosyncratic. the fact that we can't linguistically label the groupings she's using makes her seem like a genius but really she's just using what lay people call intuition, basically trying to intuit what future moves the person will make based on complex formations she's recognized before so she's moving 3 or 4 steps ahead while the other person is thinking 1 step at a time, just like most of the people she played, which means her predictions are probabilistically going to be correct, and even if you miss on the first move, then the pattern changes and she just has a new probabilistic formation, it's like playing against a supercomputer.

i think these people probably had a lot of previous experience in the subject (as per above), are lying (they just started "studying" the night before, because they don't count reading it an hour a day as "studying" or just want to seem "smarter" than they are), or are using methylphenidate/amphetamines to pull all nighters.

can anyone share with me? lol

hahah! The only all-nighter I ever pulled was in the graphics lab the night before the paper submission deadline rendering our images (at 30-45 minutes apiece!). And I survived on hot chocolate (barely).

Hot chocolate? Who pulls an all-nighter on hot chocolate? Thats like getting drunk with root beer. :confused:

hahah! The only all-nighter I ever pulled was in the graphics lab the night before the paper submission deadline rendering our images (at 30-45 minutes apiece!). And I survived on hot chocolate (barely).

lol I do! I don't drink coffee so hot chocolate is perfect! :P

I didn't drink coffee for the longest time! I used to drink hot cocoa instead :)

So I was in the study room and heard a couple of guys talking and one of the guys was bragging about how he studied the day before a physiology midterm and still managed to get an A+. I've never taken a physio class so I don't know how hard it is, but he was also saying that he did pretty much nothing for biochemistry and got A+ on the midterm. But to me, for biochem, there is NO WAY to cram all the info in only one night. By the way, my school is known for having one of the most difficult life sciences program in the country so it's not like I'm trying to make my school sound like a joke. I don't think it is anyway.

I also know this another guy who says stuff like I cram all the time I never go to lecture blah blah and I still get A+ etc.

Call me naive but I half believe what they say and I want to know how the heck they study. I would ask them and they would just act as if they're super super smart and I'm the dumb kid.

Has anyone here heard of those "self-proclaimed genius" and know the secret behind their easy A+? Some sort of miraculous study method maybe? (Or am I just being unrealistic here?)

Answer=they lie!

i think these people probably had a lot of previous experience in the subject (as per above), are lying (they just started "studying" the night before, because they don't count reading it an hour a day as "studying", or just want to seem "smarter" than they are, or their studying the night before consisted of starting at 9 am the day before and studying until 3 am (18 of 24 hours before the test)), or are using methylphenidate/amphetamines to pull all nighters.

That's so true, my mom taught me how to addition/multiplication/fractions and such before i started school, and math has always been intuitive for me, possibly as a result of that

Archived