Premed 101 Forums

Extracurriculurs

You can include anything that you think the adcom should know about you. Cooking and working out are definitely activities that describe you and how you spend your time. I am less sure about using moving out on your own. Perhaps if it were under less then normal circumstances but otherwise everyone moves out someday. If it was just I became an adult and moved out on my own I don't know if that is worth highlighting.

I would still try and avoid using family as your verifier. There are a couple of cases in Dr. Walkers podcast where he says that you can use yourself as a verifier, you will just need some kind of proof if they chose to contact you. ie. photos of you cooking over the years, registration for cooking classes, rental agreements, gym memberships. Or you could use a workout partner for the gym.

That's my opinion I hope it helps.

I am using a family member to confirm my personal study of a few languages. I haven't taken any formal training but I believe this speaks to my character so I am putting it in at the risk of only having a family member as a verifier.

In the end, I don't think they are going to go out of their way to confirm these more minor ECs. I think they would go out of their way to verify a Nobel Prize or involvement in some huge endeavor but not for these small things. I just don't think they have the time. If that was the case, they'd be making 30 (activities) x 2000 (applicants) = 60000 calls. Or even if it was for only interviewed candidates, still 30 x 400 = 12000 calls.

Just my two cents.

As long as you can proove it I guess. Again if you listened to Dr Walkers podcast he said that they call verifiers completely at random. It would seem to me that people would be less likely to lie about the big stuff because it's more obvious but that they would be more likely to lie about the smaller stuff that they're just using to fill out their application.

I am sure that people are including all sorts of things with all kinds of verifiers. If they don't like your verifier they will ask more more proof.

• 1 year later...

Also, does it matter whether you are accurate on the number of hours. I mean... I volutneered for an organization for more than 100 hours, but the precious number I am not too sure. I was thinking of writing 150 hours... but what happens if the number of hours you state in the application do not match exactly what the organization has in file. I think by December I will probably have 150 hours so that is why I want to write 150

• 2 weeks later...
Also, does it matter whether you are accurate on the number of hours. I mean... I volutneered for an organization for more than 100 hours, but the precious number I am not too sure. I was thinking of writing 150 hours... but what happens if the number of hours you state in the application do not match exactly what the organization has in file. I think by December I will probably have 150 hours so that is why I want to write 150

I've met with or called all of my bigger organizatons' volunteer coordinators. Most of them have kept precise hour logs of my work, so I'll use those numbers, even if they disagree with what I have logged over the years. If they don't have a database, maybe try to come to an agreement over a reasonable estimate and when you began in the organization so that you're kosher pickle in case the adcoms phone them.

Archived