Premed 101 Forums

Typing speed & CASPer

Guest BluePin

Guest BluePin

My impression is that typing speed is a (big?) factor in one's performance on CASPer.

As I am not a particularly fast typist, I've started practicing with a typing tutor program. Of course, this is a little late; but I didn't think about it until the past couple of weeks, when I realized that each CASPer scenario allowed only 5 minutes to answer three questions.

For those of you who have completed the test in another year, is there anything else you would recommend to prepare for getting your answers down quickly (as opposed to general preparation, such as familiarity with some ethical conundrums)?

I don't think typing speed is a major factor. I'm not fast at typing. In fact, I think when I was doing CASPer I only got 2 or maybe 3 sentences down per question. But I got an interview/acceptance. For CASPer, it's not about how much you type, but what you write. It's important to remember that CASPer isn't the MCAT. They don't care if your spelling or grammar isn't perfect. Also, don't use lots of adjectives and adverbs. Just focus on your main point and you'll be able to write quite a bit.

Also, when watching the videos, try to anticipate the questions and answer them. When I was watching the videos, it was easy to predict what types of questions they would ask, and so I didn't have to spend as much time thinking when I was answering the questions. That gave me more time to type.

Finally, make sure you're aware of the time. You have 5 minutes for 3 questions. What I did was spend the first ~30 seconds reading all 3 questions and thinking of quick 1 word answers. Then I spent 1:20minutes per question. If I wasn't done an answer in the 1min 20sec, it didn't matter; I moved on to the next question. That way, I was sure I'd have an answer for every question. Then, I spent the last 30 seconds finishing any sentences that were incomplete or adding a descriptive word or 2 to my answers. By sticking to this time schedule, I never felt rushed or that I had incomplete answers.

Hope some of this helps.

did you think you had to keep to basic ideas? you said you got 2-3 sentences down/Q. it seems like that would be insufficient to outline one's whole thought process on the issue? i know you can probably leave out some stuff, but 2-3 still doesn't even seem like enough to get one's main ideas across if they are to include rationale? don't mean to be challenging or whatever. i'm just wondering what made you comfortable even though you might have had to limit your answers?

thanks

did you think you had to keep to basic ideas? you said you got 2-3 sentences down/Q. it seems like that would be insufficient to outline one's whole thought process on the issue? i know you can probably leave out some stuff, but 2-3 still doesn't even seem like enough to get one's main ideas across if they are to include rationale? don't mean to be challenging or whatever. i'm just wondering what made you comfortable even though you might have had to limit your answers?

thanks

Well, they were long sentences. And as for thought process, there's a way to explain yourself and be concise at the same time. I was able to discuss complex ideas within that space. It just comes with practice. It may have helped that I'm a concise writer in the first place.

Also, I think that many applicants are overthinking CASPer. All the scenarios that were presented were fairly basic and didn't require piecing a bunch of concepts together (though you could if you had the time). There was 1 obvious concept to discuss, and I stuck with that.

P.S. I think you're right about the 2 sentences. It was a year ago, but it may have been more along the lines of 3-4 sentences.

Archived