Premed 101 Forums

Physics

ditde

I'm not a math person at all. I'm sure I'm going to get a C or something like that for Physics 101 and 102 which is going to bring down my GPA. I've pretty much given up on it and am focusing on other subjects which I can actually get a good grade in. I know it's a requirement for all med schools but I seriously fail to see the point in learning about springs and falling balls (and in a world with no freaking air resistance or friction!)

Were any of you current medical students in my situation? Or are you all just super well-rounded and brilliant. :P

I'm not a math person at all. I'm sure I'm going to get a C or something like that for Physics 101 and 102 which is going to bring down my GPA. I've pretty much given up on it and am focusing on other subjects which I can actually get a good grade in. I know it's a requirement for all med schools but I seriously fail to see the point in learning about springs and falling balls (and in a world with no freaking air resistance or friction!)

Were any of you current medical students in my situation? Or are you all just super well-rounded and brilliant. :P

Well first off I guess I should mention that it isn't actually requirement for all that many schools at all - I mean it is on the MCAT of course, but that is a completely separate matter in the sense that there are other ways of learning physics. In Ontario for instance no school has physics as a prereq requirement.

If it is killing your GPA look hard first at why you are taking it at all - again not to ignore the MCAT but GPA is really the first and most important thing to protect. If you do drop physics remember it is best to have 5.0 credits still for the year for a variety of very good reasons.

Actually first year physics is a prerequisite for a few courses that I am taking (Physiology and Chemistry) I think. I would drop it if I could...

ahhh well that makes sense - your program may require it but the medical schools don't. Not much of a comfort I suppose :(

Physics I found was just a pile of practice without a lot of short cuts. Just problem and problem after problem until it clicked.

You might want to consider doing at least one of the physics in the summer where some schools won't count it and you perhaps can really focus on it as well.

That was me 6 years ago. Mind you, I took the physics for students who didn't take highschool physics, and that still sucked the soul out of me because I could not see the point of any of that **** and how it related to what I wanted to do. Hang in there.

lolwut

If someone isnt smart enough to be moderately successful at 1st year physics, then they arent smart enough to be a competent physician. Common sense if you think about it...

and you would know this due to your already extensive experience as a current resident or physician?

Exactly.

and you would know this due to your already extensive experience as a current resident or physician?

Exactly.

lol... A higher IQ is correlated with more success in physics/math. No one will deny that. Now if you wont agree that a higher IQ is not correlated with competency in medicine, then /topic.

Oh and that's like saying you can fail grade 10 math but get an A+ in university micro bio.

lolwut

If someone isnt smart enough to be moderately successful at 1st year physics, then they arent smart enough to be a competent physician. Common sense if you think about it...

At first I thought you were being sarcastic. Now I realize you just don't have a clue about real life.

lolwut

Page of some famous failures

If someone isn't good enough to make a non-fallible argument then they're obviously not a competent debater.

oh and nice explanation, i loved the part where you stated your arguments clearly.

Let me state my argument clearly. You're a terrible debater. Also you seem to seek to discourage people and cut them down at whatever opportunities open up. I really hope nobody takes you seriously.

Page of some famous failures

If someone isn't good enough to make a non-fallible argument then they're obviously not a competent debater.

Let me state my argument clearly. You're a terrible debater. Also you seem to seek to discourage people and cut them down at whatever opportunities open up. I really hope nobody takes you seriously.

cool link brah

There isnt enough data space on a site to hold the list of people who didnt succeed with such extreme "disadvantages."

Oh and Einstein was quoted to saying he was doing differential equations at age 14-15 (putting the mentally challenged myth to rest) so it makes you question the integrity of that site...

cool link brah

There isnt enough data space on a site to hold the list of people who didnt succeed with such extreme "disadvantages."

Oh and Einstein was quoted to saying he was doing differential equations at age 14-15 (putting the mentally challenged myth to rest) so it makes you question the integrity of that site...

And when someone that did badly in physics becomes a good doctor, putting your argument to rest, that will make us question your integrity. But that'll never happen. :rolleyes:

Edit: P.S. Your Einstein note proved my point and the point of that page that I linked, just fyi. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon in a bit.

I'm sorry I'm sure this looks like I'm just attacking Medigeek. But this is not the sole reason for my posting. I just want to encourage the OP and anyone else whose plans seem to be getting messed up. Sometimes you can fix what you did wrong, sometimes you can't, and sometimes things will just work out for themselves. Just do your best and see what happens.

theres a reason physics/calc are called weed out courses

oh and nice explanation, i loved the part where you stated your arguments clearly.

Your original argument that it's impossible to have a high IQ and be bad at physics is too bone-headed to warrant a refutation.

It's typical premed logic to think "they make us take physics, therefore if you can't do physics you won't be a good doctor." When in fact, it's the lack of critical thinking in questioning the status quo that will make you a bad doctor. Not that it matters how "good" of a doctor you are anyway.

Your original argument that it's impossible to have a high IQ and be bad at physics is too bone-headed to warrant a refutation.

It's typical premed logic to think "they make us take physics, therefore if you can't do physics you won't be a good doctor." When in fact, it's the lack of critical thinking in questioning the status quo that will make you a bad doctor. Not that it matters how "good" of a doctor you are anyway.

Who said impossible? I said it is correlated which is very basic common sense anyway.

I wouldn't say that logic's typical of premeds, more likely just a select few.

Same here! I think I just bombed my first midterm in 1st year physics. Sigh. Math and I don't mix.

I work as a Pathology Assistant. Have well rounded knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathology and microanatomy. I am very good at solving patient case studies and most friends come to me to ask what they likely have (and I typically tell them correctly).

So why oh why do I have to learn about cars accelerating and rockets going up in the air? How does that pertain to being a doctor? Quite a few of the pathologists I work with have remarked how they remember very little from physics, chemistry and calculus.

But since I don't want another withdraw-fail on my records, I will have to stick with this. Time to get a tutor.....

So why oh why do I have to learn about cars accelerating and rockets going up in the air? How does that pertain to being a doctor? Quite a few of the pathologists I work with have remarked how they remember very little from physics, chemistry and calculus.

I think physics is more important for diagnostic medicine and research, not so much for those you mentioned above. So far in my research projects, albeit non-clinical, have needed some understanding of concepts in physics.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: Pretty sure I scored 90% on all three of my mid-terms (Orgo, Molecular Bio and Physiology) so I was like "AWWWWWWWWWWW YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TIME TO MASTER PHYSICS!"

...but now I'm dying. I have four days to catch up on two months worth of Physics. Every single damn question is a trick question and takes me 30 or more minutes to do.

It really won't make sense and probably never will. But in some implicit way it helps, believe me. Your mind will be taught to think in different ways and be more versatile, which is a great asset to have now and in the future.

Completely agree with that, I didint really like physics but I do realize that solving physics problems stimulates a thinking process that can become very useful no matter what you do. Is it essential, no.

Seems to be a lot of physics haters on this forum. Sighs, must I be the only one who loves physics. 1st year physics is pretty pointless because all the problems are in perfect conditions which will never happen (no friction, no air resistance, ect.. ) the upper year engineering courses are awesome if you love physics. Fluid mechanics, heat transfer, vector mechanics, dynamics.. my favourite (organic chem is another story:mad: )

Archived