Premed 101 Forums

Diagnosis of a patient based on this brain MRI?

For my undergraduate neuroscience class, I'm supposed to analyze this MRI of a brain and make tentative diagnoses of neurological disorders based on it. I'm having trouble coming up with answers though, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out? It's not being marked, but I'm really interested in this type of stuff.

mybrain.png

Edit: The patient is female, in her early 20s. That's all the info I was given.

I'm not sure you can diagnose diffuse atrophy based on this single sagittal slice. The 4th ventricle doesn't look especially enlarged. In any case, Alzheimer's can only be definitively diagnosed post-mortem, and there are lots of reasons for big ventricles. This could be a case of aqueductal stenosis, for example.

This looks like a T1 image?

This person has enlarged ventricles, indicative of Alzheimer's. It would help if you knew the age of the person (as some people naturally have large ventricles but if this person was 60-80 that'd be a good guess). This is what my Masters research is all about :P

There is a big differential to enlarged ventricles, from normal pressure hydrocephalus to an obstruction of the choroid plexus and dementias as you pointed out.

Probable alzheimer is a clinical diagnosis (look it up in your DSM IV), however, as someone pointed out, definitive alzheimer is a pathological diagnosis.

I'm not sure you can diagnose diffuse atrophy based on this single sagittal slice. The 4th ventricle doesn't look especially enlarged. In any case, Alzheimer's can only be definitively diagnosed post-mortem, and there are lots of reasons for big ventricles. This could be a case of aqueductal stenosis, for example.

This looks like a T1 image?

For Alzheimer's, the lateral ventricles are affected, the third and fourth aren't normally looked at on MRI. And yes indeedy, AD technically is only "officially" diagnosed post-mortem but you can put them in a "probable AD" category, like big Alzheimer studies do (such as ADNI). And yes this is a T1-weighted image.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I'm just starting neurology, I consider myself an expert on reading these MRIs already. My diagnosis: Your patient's been cut in half. Also lost all color. This is a bad sign. He probably has cancer. Or Lupus.

But really, to me something looks funny just above the parietal region, maybe a subdural hemorrhage or something. And seriously we just started our neuro block so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

not so sure. acute blood should be bright on T1-weighted images (like this one), and the sulci look pretty darn normal (can see nice black CSF between adjacent gyri). i see the structure you are worried about but keep in mind this is very close to midline, could just be part of the superior sagittal sinus.

Acute subdural hematoma over the frontal parietal region with minimal adjacent sulcal effacement.

Acute blood is isointense not hyperintense.

Like I said earlier. Single sagittal image is hard to definitively diagnose. It might or might not be subdural hematoma or venous thrombosis. The reason i first chose hematoma is because the image slice appears slightly para sagittal without clear visualization of the straight or inferior sagittal sinuses although I do see the aqueduct of sylvius.

The ventricles are enlarged for a person 20 years of age. A discrete mass is not seen in the 3rd ventricle or at the foramen Monroe but there is a mass like area in the ventricle. A few things that need clarification with additional images. We need an answer from the OP.

We can opine much at this point but additional images will allow for a diagnosis. Interesting case nonetheless.

my bad, you are right about acute blood on t1 and I like your differential. hopefully OP posts answer when given to his class.

Acute blood is isointense not hyperintense.

Like I said earlier. Single sagittal image is hard to definitively diagnose. It might or might not be subdural hematoma or venous thrombosis. The reason i first chose hematoma is because the image slice appears slightly para sagittal without clear visualization of the straight or inferior sagittal sinuses although I do see the aqueduct of sylvius.

The ventricles are enlarged for a person 20 years of age. A discrete mass is not seen in the 3rd ventricle or at the foramen Monroe but there is a mass like area in the ventricle. A few things that need clarification with additional images. We need an answer from the OP.

We can opine much at this point but additional images will allow for a diagnosis. Interesting case nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

Archived