Premed 101 Forums

I heard that med schools seriously consider the health of their applicants?

Hey guys, so... in the second semester of my first year, I had to withdraw from all my courses because I got really sick towards the end of the semester. But on my transcript, it shows that I took one course but that's because it finished early. Other courses appear as W. I received treatments for it and I am healthy now but I'm worried that they won't like me. I do have a letter from the university saying that I was sick at the time, but still, am I totally screwed? I heard that med schools like healthy kids... And how would that one lonely course look on my transcript? Pretty bad, you think?

Would I not be qualified for U of T's weighing system?

Not screwed. Been there done that. Dropped a whole semester past the withdrawal deadline because I was sick. I included a note about it in my apps, but not a single school cared. Never even asked me about it.

The only issue that you might face is the issue of having enough "full time years" but most schools make allowances for this sort of stuff, and don't require that EVERY year be a full time year, so as long as you don't make a habit of it, no issue.

With U of T, you won't get their weighting formula, but if you were sick and have documentation you can apply to get it anyway.

It's all about the spin. In your essays and applications, don't dwell on the illness, keep it positive, focus on your growth and put together a strong app. One semester like this shouldn't be an issue provided it doesn't happen all the time.

So ellorie, even if I take full course load for the rest of my undergrad, chances are I won't automatically qualify for U of T's weighing formula...? :( U of T is my dream med school =((( By the way, I'm glad I won't have to explain my situation over and over again...

Oh, and congratulations for getting into Western =)

I'm worried because I heard that I need 4 full years to qualify for most of the med schools' special weighing formula. So even if I take full course load throughout my undergrad, I would have only 3 years of full course load, since my first year is half-incomplete pretty much (the first semester, I did take 5 courses). Would that mean I have to take an extra year?:confused:

Taking an extra year will not grant you the weighting formula since you already have a year without full course load.

As ellorie has mentioned, you can try handing them the proof of your medical condition which was beyond your control, and let them evaluate if you qualify for the weighting formula.. What you should do now is concentrate on getting the good grades. Who knows, you may not need the weighting formula after all ;)

Archived