Premed 101 Forums

I am scared...

Hi fellow CaRMSer's:

I think I just got the worst news of my life handed to me from this post:

"Applying to two specialties can be a dangerous game, especially if you are applying to something even slightly competitive. Splitting electives as a way of backing up will make you look like you are not committed to being in either specialty and neither specialty will want to take you. "

If only I have read this post a little earlier I would have NEVER EVER scheduled my electives the way I have scheduled them now. And the worst thing about it is that the way I have arranged my electives, it is NEVER EVER my intention to back anything up. I always knew what I wanted.

So is that it? Am I done for CaRMS and have to fight for the left-overs?

I am really really scared...

mcater2006

Speaking as someone who also has "split" pre-Carms electives, I don't think having more than one discipline matters so long as you can convincingly explain your choices. Sometimes elective arrangements don't work out as you expect too due to events well beyond your control.

Thanks A-Stark, I was dawning on that same conclusion. Just like what Epictetus said, "Events don't scare people, it is ppl's interpretations of them that scare people". So in the same vein it's not my electives themselves that would get me in trouble, but rather my explanation (or lack thereof) of them that might get me in trouble.

@Brooksbane: Thank you too. However at this point it really is too late to change anything without incurring a big red flag on my app.

Ditto;

I think you should spend your time thinking about how you can spin the electives to your advantage; it is very difficult to find electives this late in the game.

Good luck though - it sounds like you want something fairly competitive!

Archived