Premed 101 Forums

What is the likelyhood of getting a close to perfect grade on a final?

I may have messed up on my midterm worth alomost a quarter of the whole grade. I didn't study the material effeciently, and there was some stuff I didn't understand. By the end I paritally gave up on a question worth almost 10% of the midterm. I really regret it now, and I want to work by butt off in order to get an A. Is this a likely situation? Or generaly speaking are the final impossilbe to get 95-100 on?

What course is it? And what is the final format?

I got a few 98-100 on finals, but they were mult-choice finals, and mostly math (or math based) courses like physics, genetics etc. The right answer is there, or can be exactly calculated, and if you select them all you get perfect.

In a course like English or philosophy, much harder to get perfect as the grading is more subjective. Even with science courses requiring explanatory paragraphs there is more room for leaving out that one important detail.

listen to me as a student who has made this mistake in the past: DON'T do it. i used to do the same - mess up a midterm and aim for perfects on my finals. it's not a formula that works. stuff happens. i would highly recommend that if you absolutely flunk this mid-term, just drop and take an extra class next semester. i'm not saying the rest of the people in this thread are not sincere, or that you should not believe in yourself. all i am saying is, why take a chance with your GPA. all it takes is one course to kill your GPA for an entire year.

here is what i would do: wait for your mark and see how badly you did on this mid-term and calculate what the max possible mark is after that. lets say you get a 50% on this test - you will have a max possible of 87.5. so if you get a perfect in every other possible assignment, that would be your final mark. how possible is that? statistically a very low possibility. if you work your butt off, you can get close to an 80 though, so if that is what you are aiming for just work really hard. but don't count on perfects, be realistic and calculate according to what your mark would be if you maintained an 85 in all the rest of your tests or something. aim for a 100, but allow yourself to do worse and see what your mark would be then. if you're unhappy with your predictions, drop it.

hope that helped! gluck :)

listen to me as a student who has made this mistake in the past: DON'T do it. i used to do the same - mess up a midterm and aim for perfects on my finals. it's not a formula that works. stuff happens. i would highly recommend that if you absolutely flunk this mid-term, just drop and take an extra class next semester. i'm not saying the rest of the people in this thread are not sincere, or that you should not believe in yourself. all i am saying is, why take a chance with your GPA. all it takes is one course to kill your GPA for an entire year.

here is what i would do: wait for your mark and see how badly you did on this mid-term and calculate what the max possible mark is after that. lets say you get a 50% on this test - you will have a max possible of 87.5. so if you get a perfect in every other possible assignment, that would be your final mark. how possible is that? statistically a very low possibility. if you work your butt off, you can get close to an 80 though, so if that is what you are aiming for just work really hard. but don't count on perfects, be realistic and calculate according to what your mark would be if you maintained an 85 in all the rest of your tests or something. aim for a 100, but allow yourself to do worse and see what your mark would be then. if you're unhappy with your predictions, drop it.

hope that helped! gluck :)

x2. I've made that bet before with ochem and it didn't pay off. a W is much better than an F.

I agree with the above posters. I have gotten 100% on finals before, but this is in classes that I did well in (as in, I did well on the midterm too). To plan on acing the final after failing the midterm is not always a viable plan. But good luck with whatever you decide to do.

From personal experience, W>F. I have some F's that are following me around because I thought that I could pull it together after the midterm. Turns out I couldn't. Maybe you should spend some time examining why you have been struggling. That is what I did - I had a lot of habits that I needed to change.

it completely depends what type of final it is. i got 100 percent on every first year psyc test and ended up with a grade of 100 in the course. the format was multiple choice and short answer though. generally speaking, it is possible (though likely difficult) for any "objectively" marked course - multiple choice exams, specifically, or courses like physics, calc, statistics, etc. where there is a definitive right answer.

if it's something like politics or english where you're going to have to write an essay i would say chances of getting 100 are next to impossible. at my school a grade of 90 on an essay-type exam is pretty much perfect as it equals an A+ and thus that's the highest they are ever going to give out. it can be done but it's super rare, and they don't give out marks higher than 90 because 90 is considered to be perfect.

I failed a midterm (45%!) and got 100% on the final in a biology course. The prof changed the weighting scale so that if your final exam mark was greater then that of your midterm, you got the exam mark as your final grade (many many people did terrible on that midterm!). So it IS possible. Just wanted to put that out there for you!

BUT like many other people said, it depends on the course. Could the prof change the weighting scale like in my case? And on the first midterm, do you fully understand what you did wrong and is it a case of not getting the material or not studying enough?

Archived