Premed 101 Forums

English Course at UW

vpv

Hello, I am a student at UW and I am considering applying to medical school after undergrad. I was wondering if there were any University of Waterloo students who would be kind enough to tell me which English course (at UW) is would fulfill the prerequisites for the Canadian and American Medical schools. I understand that there are a bunch: ENGL 109, ENGL 140R, etc.

Would taking any two ENGL courses suffice? Or would they have to be specific ones?

Thanks

-vpv

Bump........

Sorry I'm not from Waterloo so I won't be able to answer your question that specifically... :D Generally, schools accept any two English courses from English Department. For Canadian med schools, I know UBC requires a course in intensive writing plus a course in literature but that's just a recommendation... but then if you are from UBC you are expected to take specific courses. But really, when I asked UBC, they don't really care that much, as long as the courses are from the English department.

Most American med schools want two semester worth of English courses and they usually don't have specific requirement. They do emphasize "intensive writing intensive writing" etc.

The English courses you take do not have to be from first year. If you are interested in more specific topics in English, like literature/poetry analysis, you should go ahead and take them if they interest you;)

Hello, I am a student at UW and I am considering applying to medical school after undergrad. I was wondering if there were any University of Waterloo students who would be kind enough to tell me which English course (at UW) is would fulfill the prerequisites for the Canadian and American Medical schools. I understand that there are a bunch: ENGL 109, ENGL 140R, etc.

Would taking any two ENGL courses suffice? Or would they have to be specific ones?

Thanks

-vpv

And it's always a good idea to double check by either calling them or emailing them. ;):o

And it's always a good idea to double check by either calling them or emailing them. ;):o

Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping to take British Literature 1 and 2; they seem to have some interesting topics so hey, why not if med schools don't care?

Archived