Premed 101 Forums

importance of employment history

hi, i am just a 3rd year and i noticed that there is an 'employment history' part in the application.

i haven't worked any jobs, but i have been volunteering.

will my lack of employment damage my application?

would you guys suggest that i obtain a job that is relevant for the application? or should i just continue volunteering?

thanks a lot!

I don't think anyone here can tell you for sure but I would think it doesn't matter. The upside to employment would be that it doesn't take up an entry in the non-academic activities section. But as far as I know they lump employment into your Non-Academic Qualities score and look for the same things.

I don't know for sure, as I'm a current applicant. But just to speculate, I could see how having different things on your app would strengthen, simply because it makes your app more diverse. If all you did was volunteering, do you know what it means to work in a professional environment with deadlines and responsibilities and boss demands? How about dealing with unruly coworkers? The appreciation of working hard for an income? Will not having employment hurt your app? Nope. Will having it make it better? Yep. Just my 2 cents.

Archived