Premed 101 Forums

McMaster vs Western

sadeghi94

Is the McMaster's life science program better or Western's bio med program? I am really interested in becoming a doctor and am wondering which one will prepare me the most for the MCAT.

p.s I have an 89 overall average with english and math in the low 90s.

It's very difficult to say which program is better since probably no one on this forums has been in both programs. I would look into which school makes you feel the most comfortable and will improve your performance, you can decide from there.

It's not the program, really, that prepares you for the mcat.

It's the courses you take. So by that premise, any school with the courses that are tested on the mcat will do.

Like IamIDP said, it's not easy to say. Look at the programs, read the booklets and description of second, third, or fourth year courses. I was set on going to Western for biomed because of their different modules and the fact that it SEEMED to me, more laid back and that's the kind of person I am...lol Funny what colours of their booklets can tell you, isn't it?

Mac gave me this griffindor feal from harry potter...

Read and make an informed decision, in every aspect! Good luck, and choose wisely ;)

if you are concerned because of the post i made in your other thread (here: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56934 )

chill

i was kidding, im a month into 1st year at western so i really have no idea and one is not better than the other.

one thing that could shift you either way though is PBL - problem based learning. im not totally sure if mac does this for life sci. i definitely dont like that way of learning though :P

if you are concerned because of the post i made in your other thread (here: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56934 )

chill

i was kidding, im a month into 1st year at western so i really have no idea and one is not better than the other.

one thing that could shift you either way though is PBL - problem based learning. im not totally sure if mac does this for life sci. i definitely dont like that way of learning though :P

lol ya. plus, as has been said a million times, both are some of the top unis in canada. you can't really go wrong. go with whatever makes you more comfortable, as has been said. take into account other factors like proximity to hometown, where your friends are going, what each city is like, and what the student body is like (although i would think they're basically similar on this point). just rock with what's important to you...?

PBL generally more for the programs under the faculty of Health Sciences. However, many courses offered at mac will have "PBL" projects. The program I was in, Biology and Pharmacology Co-op was part of both the faculty of health sciences and Science. My pharmacology courses were purely PBL. It's something you'd have to do first hand before you fully understand what it really is.

Coincidentally, I did co-op placements at UWO and liked the atmosphere there much better. Too bad uwo wasn't a school I considered back in g.12.

Edit: Another thing to consider is course selection. I've had a look at UWO's calendar and they offer way more courses than mac does (mind you, UWO is a bigger school).

PBL is really only rewarding if you have developed an extensive background in the particular area you are "problem-based learning" in. Often at times I find that colleagues and myself miss areas of consideration in certain areas not because of incompetence, but a lack of a general understanding or base. You can get very specialized in PBL with your research question but the amount of knowledge that you'll get out if it will highly depend on your own efforts and self-direction; not by the facilitator. Great for something you have previous work or experience in; terrible if you don't...you'll start searching databases around like a headless chicken without a clue what's going on.

Just from my personal experiences anyway.

Archived