Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone EVER gotten into UBC Med without taking a full year of Biochemistry?

I'm trying to settle a debate.

I was under the impression that the prerequisites to apply for UBC Med were requirements that were set in stone. However, someone else I know insists that you could probably get away with doing just half a year of Biochemistry or something, and that there's a chance that the admissions committee may be lenient about this.

So what do you think guys? Have you ever heard of anyone getting into UBC Med without the full prereqs?

I was under the impression that the prerequisites to apply for UBC Med were requirements that were set in stone. However, someone else I know insists that you could probably get away with doing just half a year of Biochemistry or something, and that there's a chance that the admissions committee may be lenient about this.

So what do you think guys? Have you ever heard of anyone getting into UBC Med without the full prereqs?

No I do not think that is possible.

Mayby by a half a year they mean half a year of BIOC 302 but they have taken BIOL 201 in the past.

You can however apply to UBC med in 3rd year prior to taking BIOC granted that you will by the end of the year.

Might be a bit of a confusion here.

You do need a full year of biochemistry...but the way UBC has their courses is a bit weird. BIOC300 is a full year course and is a prereq for medicine. However, there is an course equivalent to BIOC300 and that is BIOL201 + BIOC302 (two seperate courses). Typically, BIOL201 is done in second year and BIOC302 is done in third year. So if your friend was unaware that BIOL201 counts as the "other half" then he might think that only a half year course is required.

Archived