Premed 101 Forums

Questions re: Activities - how does UofA score activities?

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how the UofA scores activities. If anyone that scored high and received feedback in previous years can offer their input, I would be extremely grateful!

1.) Do you think we should restrict our activity descriptions to duties only or include information about what we learned as well (similar to UofC)?

2.) What do we do about activities that fall into multiple categories? For example, one of mine falls into both leadership and volunteer work. This leads to the next question...

3.) How does everyone feel about repeating activities in multiple sections (see #2) and changing the description to fit the category? I wonder if they grade each applicant holistically like the UofC, or give each section an independent score? If it is the latter, I think it would make sense to repeat activities and cater the description to the category.

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how the UofA scores activities. If anyone that scored high and received feedback in previous years can offer their input, I would be extremely grateful!

1.) Do you think we should restrict our activity descriptions to duties only or include information about what we learned as well (similar to UofC)?

2.) What do we do about activities that fall into multiple categories? For example, one of mine falls into both leadership and volunteer work. This leads to the next question...

3.) How does everyone feel about repeating activities in multiple sections (see #2) and changing the description to fit the category? I wonder if they grade each applicant holistically like the UofC, or give each section an independent score? If it is the latter, I think it would make sense to repeat activities and cater the description to the category.

1. Limit your wording to duties but do it in such a way that it shows the relevance to medicine. Things you want to highlight are: leadership, collaboration, team-work, etc. Use strong words such as I led, I supervised, I collaborated...

2, 3:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54207

Archived