Premed 101 Forums

Epidemiology at U of T

thehumanmacbook

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon U of T's Clinical Epidemiology site: http://www.hpme.utoronto.ca/about/rp/mscphd-ce/admission.htm and it seems like a great way to get involved in patient care and clinical research as well.

Does anyone have any comments/feedback on this program? Or what they have heard about it? It seems pretty big in terms of the specialties that they offer...

Many thanks! Just looking for different masters to apply to other than medical biophysics.

4-year undergraduate degree in a health profession from an accredited University (BScN, BScOT, BScPT, DMD, MD, MScN, etc.).

I don't think you can apply for this with only a BSc, unless of course its Nursing/OT/PT. Then again, even PT and OT are "advanced" undergrad degrees. But I may be wrong.

Can't apply with just a BSc - this is a clinical epidemiology degree, which is for health care professionals. Usually done during or post-residency. Many other universities have a clinical epidemiology program (with the same requirement).

That being said, many MSc epidemiology programs can offer similar research opportunities. If you want to do more clinical research, you can get involved in a more clinical topic for your thesis. Unfortunately, U of T doesn't offer a MSc epidemiology program.

You can try the MPH program at Dalla Lana, but I think it's pretty competitive as well, and nowadays it's not as useful for a job as having a MD+MPH.

Definitely. I'm trying for MD/PhD, so regardless the masters will help. I really liked my epi class so I was interested in something related, and I looked (mistakenly) at this one and then the HRM masters at McMaster....I do want to get more into clinical/imaging related work, so my first choice is still Med Biophysics @ U of T with a collaboration with the e health innovation center, and then Med Biophysics @ Western...then med physics @ mac. My GPA is way above their cutoffs, so I shouldn't have a problem with getting in, but I have to work on OGS right now; just found out about it today :(

Premeds keeping things to themselves never helps. Should have been more informed anyway.

Archived