Premed 101 Forums

mcat verified

SO I have the same problem and talked to April in the admissions office today. She said their sorting through those with unverified MCATs (usually because there was a difference in the scores you reported and those on MCAT thx, different test date etc.). She said there will be an email sent out in a couple of days and as long as you have proof you submitted, you'll be fine.

Oh those people at admissions are infinitely patient. I had contacted them with an issue and found them to be the most helpful. I can't imagine with the 2000+ applications they're dealing with that they don't get frustrated with the A-types calling/emailing about every little issue.

Alas, without straying off topic...I would also recommend contacting them at that generic email address ucmedapp. They're pretty quick to reply as I found from experience.

VR is worth 10%. And the MCAT will factor into the 10% subjective assessment of academics.

so, in total the MCAT actually counts for 20% of the entire file evaluation? 10% VR and 10% in the subjective assessment?

or is the VR 10% included in the 10% subjective assessment?

tx.

The way I understand it is that the VR is 10%, then there is 10% subjective academic assessment of which one part is the entire MCAT. So the MCAT is somewhere between 10 and 20 percent, but as I see it probably more realistically between 10 and 15. Just what I think and how I interpret it.

I think the 10% for VR is the only thing we can guarantee for certain with the MCAT, since the VR score directly converts to a standardized score.

However, for the 10% subjective academic assessment, Dr. Walker stated that the reviewers literally review the entire application (considering everything from courses, weights, grades, loads, degrees obtained, overall MCAT, anything academic related). The reviewers will even see a "time line" for each applicant that should show the reviewers what you were busy doing at various points in time. So if your EC hours went up and your GPA went down, they would probably take that into consideration.

As a result, I don't think we can break down the subjective score at all. The reviewers look at everything academic and then come up with a score based on their overall impression.

I think the 10% for VR is the only thing we can guarantee for certain with the MCAT, since the VR score directly converts to a standardized score.

However, for the 10% subjective academic assessment, Dr. Walker stated that the reviewers literally review the entire application (considering everything from courses, weights, grades, loads, degrees obtained, overall MCAT, anything academic related). The reviewers will even see a "time line" for each applicant that should show the reviewers what you were busy doing at various points in time. So if your EC hours went up and your GPA went down, they would probably take that into consideration.

As a result, I don't think we can break down the subjective score at all. The reviewers look at everything academic and then come up with a score based on their overall impression.

i'm more concerned about the MCAT. it was the area i think prevented me from getting an interview last year. i am hoping this year that with the new method of evaluation as well as a graduate degree it might push me over the top.

i'm more concerned about the MCAT. it was the area i think prevented me from getting an interview last year. i am hoping this year that with the new method of evaluation as well as a graduate degree it might push me over the top.

I think if your VR is solid then the new system may very well be an asset. How much of the 10% subjective is based on MCAT is very hard to know. I would even argue that it would differ for each applicant. For example, if an applicant has only 3 years of full time study and no other measure for academic performance, then the MCAT could be more significant. However, if the applicant is a PhD student, with three degrees, research, and other measures, then the MCAT may play a smaller overall role in the subjective assessment.

Dr. Walker has been clear that the 10% subjective is not broken down in any way, so how much the MCAT influences that score is really unknown. When someone is literally reading a file and pulling a number out of their head based on their impression, I don't think it's ever possible to quantify it. Like KMMD said, I can't see it being over half of the score (e.g. 5 out of 10), and I even suspect it is much less. But this is conjecture.

Archived