Premed 101 Forums

Becoming In province

Hey everyone!

For Calgary residency it states that you have to be physically there for 12 months. It also states that you cannot be a student there and if thats the case you have to be there for 2 years.

I was wondering if my residency status would hold true if I worked there for 12 months and did an online degree from outside Canada?

Thanks

Hey everyone!

For Calgary residency it states that you have to be physically there for 12 months. It also states that you cannot be a student there and if thats the case you have to be there for 2 years.

I was wondering if my residency status would hold true if I worked there for 12 months and did an online degree from outside Canada?

Thanks

Maybe I'm missing this, but where does it state you can't be a student?

Thanks jojef! I will be doing that!

kylamonkey the applicant manual pg 6 (http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%20final%20Aug%202.pdf) states that for you to be considered in-province you should have studied full time for 2 years in alberta so I am guessing they count each year as half.

(I also vaguely remember someone posting before that you cannot be a full time student in that year....not sure! can anyone confirm)

That is not what the applicant manual says.

It says you have to meet one or more of the criteria.

So, if I live in Ab for 12mo preceding start date, I'm good. Regardless of what I'm doing at that time.

If I attended UofLethbridge for 3 yrs, and then moved to quebec, I'm also good under the other definition.

This has been discussed before, and it is permissible to be a FT student while being in AB for the 12mo before school starts. Do a search if you are still unsure.

Thanks for clearing it up.

For me the confusing part was that why would you mention that you need to be there for one year and then mention that you can study there for 2 years, doesnt it seem obvious that if you spend a year while studying it should count the same. Or is it because the 12 months are consecutive and 2 academic years (8months each) have a summer break in the middle?

Hi there,

The reason that it gives the 2 year study option is that you could have studied in Alberta for 2 years and then moved out of the province for a couple years to finish your degree someplace else. Note how it says "at some time". That time does not have to be immediately preceding the application year.

The same applies to someone who attended high school here. Technically you could move outside the province and complete a four year degree some place else, however you would still be considered an Alberta resident.

I am planning on moving to alberta as well after i graduate next year to look for a job (in my field the job market is actually better in alberta than a lot of other provinces anyways).... just a question what kind of proof do they need for living in alberta? i know that for students they can provide transcripts or if you are employed you can show pay stubs, but what if you are just living there to look for a job...

Archived