Premed 101 Forums

Money, Prestige, and Lifestyle

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was having this discussion with a friend today, I'd love to hear some opinions.

Is there a single medical specialty that has all three of the following: Money, Prestige, and Lifestyle (Low hours worked, low hours on call).

My answer would be "no".

Ortho? Plastics?

Private practice plastics for cosmetic surgery?

Team doc for a large sports franchise - which means any NHL, NBA, CFL team, I would think...

I don't view doctors as prestigious, and neither does anyone I know other than people on this forum and I agree with whoever said most people do not even know radiologists are doctors

People who said doctors working for famous teams or whatnot are seen as prestigious have just associated doctors with someone else who is prestigious lol

I don't view doctors as prestigious, and neither does anyone I know other than people on this forum and I agree with whoever said most people do not even know radiologists are doctors

People who said doctors working for famous teams or whatnot are seen as prestigious have just associated doctors with someone else who is prestigious lol

It depends on what you mean by prestigious... As far as I can tell a prestigious JOB defined by most people is one where you earn a lot of money (top 5-10% maybe) and often (but not always) docs fall in this category. It seems that you only think that the top 0.05% earners are prestigious (or you have some other way of defining prestige) which is fine but I think not the norm. I should say that it is not only money but power that earns the prestigious mark (although they are often hand in hand). Personally, I prefer to rank people on personal impressions and not by what they do. If they are awesome they gain prestige in my mind, if not then not.... In this case I know docs that I think highly of and I feel are prestigious compared to other people that I have met and others that I find are bumbling idiots...

Anesthesiology seems to be facing rough waters in the States though - the whole CRNA upcreep thing.

Yeah I don't really follow what specialties are thriving in which parts of the world... I have just heard that ROAD specialties tend to have a good balance of Pay/Lifestyle (for doctors). I am not particularly informed on the matter seeing as all my info has come from wikipedia (like all things in med school so far http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/medicalschool.jpg ) ;)

I have never met anyone who views dermatologists as "prestigious".

They are constantly being made fun of (Seinfeld, Scrubs) and viewed as "skin" docs that don't save lives.

Skin docs that have amoungst the hardest CaRMS matches and drive around in Bentleys working 30hr/wk ;) JK

It depends on what you mean by prestigious... As far as I can tell a prestigious JOB defined by most people is one where you earn a lot of money (top 5-10% maybe) and often (but not always) docs fall in this category. It seems that you only think that the top 0.05% earners are prestigious (or you have some other way of defining prestige) which is fine but I think not the norm. I should say that it is not only money but power that earns the prestigious mark (although they are often hand in hand). Personally, I prefer to rank people on personal impressions and not by what they do. If they are awesome they gain prestige in my mind, if not then not.... In this case I know docs that I think highly of and I feel are prestigious compared to other people that I have met and others that I find are bumbling idiots...

To me prestige is more related to power and respect than money (money as well, but must be in a combo of those 2)

I personally am not so fond of my doctor lol and neither is anyone i know (as in i don't know anyone who views their doctors as compassionate, live-saving people anymore, but i see people identify doctors as uni students who had no life during undergrad in order to get them a job where they will be in debt, sued, underappreciated and on average not paid that mch ).. obvs my experience/exposure is pretty narrow haha

As for personal impressions and 'aweosme' people, the people in my lifetime I've met that are awesome were not necessarily prestigious so I don't relate those 2

To me prestige is more related to power and respect than money (money as well, but must be in a combo of those 2)

I personally am not so fond of my doctor lol and neither is anyone i know (as in i don't know anyone who views their doctors as compassionate, live-saving people anymore, but i see people identify doctors as uni students who had no life during undergrad in order to get them a job where they will be in debt, sued, underappreciated and on average not paid that mch ).. obvs my experience/exposure is pretty narrow haha

As for personal impressions and 'aweosme' people, the people in my lifetime I've met that are awesome were not necessarily prestigious so I don't relate those 2

wut

What kind of people do you talk to? I associate with middle class people and EVERYone views medicine as being the most prestigous field to go into (academically, not including pro sports, acting, etc. stuff like that).

Most doctors also are not underpaid, and in Canada lots of doctors dont go into loans that much... and i'm sure the nerds who have no lives are also the same people we see with "3.99 GPA.... Rejected."

OP, you're forgetting one category... CHICKS. With the addition of this crucial element, we narrow the search down to... heart surgeon: "I mend broken hearts, literally."

*panties fly off*

Chicks are the most important part of a dude's life (srs). It is the prime motive for wanting more $$$ and higher prestige.

wut

What kind of people do you talk to? I associate with middle class people and EVERYone views medicine as being the most prestigous field to go into (academically, not including pro sports, acting, etc. stuff like that).

Most doctors also are not underpaid, and in Canada lots of doctors dont go into loans that much... and i'm sure the nerds who have no lives are also the same people we see with "3.99 GPA.... Rejected."

LOL I'm sure you do

I didn't say most doctors are underpaid

Haha and I'm sure there's lots of those people who do have lives

spoken like a 20 year old virgin

I'd be surprised if you even had half of mine (srs). And I'm 18.

But for the average person in the western culture, what is the BIGGEST motive behind wanting to look better, working out, wanting a lot of $$$ and so on... yes there are other factors but sex makes up the biggest portion. Biologically and evolutionary supported as well.

I hope none of you get into med school. Jump off a cliff.

I don't understand your comment... Why would you not wish any of the posters on this thread to get into med school? Lifestyle is an important part of your career choice (AFAIK Good Lifestyle correlates well with prestige (although admittedly not always)). Meds is just a job like any other and it is NOT all about being ultra altruistic. It's about doing something that allows you to live the life that you want to live while doing something that you can enjoy, it is after all the only life you get...

Archived