Premed 101 Forums

Cost analysis of Carib/Ireland/UK?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to be fully supported by someone to get loans if you go international. There is no funding.

Your parents/friends/relatives or you if you own a home can take out a home equity loan.

Carib is the cheapest - about 200K.

• 2 weeks later...

-Australia is around 65,000$(tuition) + 18,000$(living) + 5,000$(travel) = around 90000$ per year

-Ireland is 52,000$-65,000$ (tuition) + 15,000$(living) + 1500$(travel)= around 70,000-80,000$ per year

- good schools in Caribbean are around 45,000$(tuition) + 12,000$(living) + 1200$ (travel) = around 55-60,000$ per year

your overal debt would be 200k-350k (if they give you that much loan)

eastern european and middle eastern medical schools will cost around 20,000$-30,000

program is in english, but like leviathan mentions, trying to come back is exceptionally difficult. Although, getting your MD in the EU could have its own unique perks.

That is what I was thinking.

Am trying to find a med school where my poor friend can go. She is just a tad below getting into a Canadian med school and most internationals are too expensive for her.

Surely one can come back to Canada from Poland and get a rural/ remote FM residency.

I'm going to give KLM the benefit of the doubt, and assume that he/ his friend knows about DO, and the main issue is paying for the US tuition, which is quite hefty.

If you simply can't afford to go to school in the US - then that's a different issue entirely.

• 5 weeks later...

Going to the Caribbean vs. Ireland vs. Australia all provide you with a very different student experience, so it really depends on the individual. In terms of returning back to Canada, the highest rates of matching are IMGs from Ireland (according to recent statistics published by CaRMS).

A benefit about studying anywhere in Europe is that it's very cheap to travel (even just for a weekend) to give yourself a break! ex. I just got a flight to the London for €30!

I can't speak for all the universities, but I do know that if you're at school in Ireland you can apply for OSAP to help pay the fees.

Surely one can come back to Canada from Poland and get a rural/ remote FM residency.

There's about 200 rural/remote FM residencies. There are about 3500 Canadian students and even more foreign medical grads all applying for those spots. It's possible, but I can think of many other things I'd feel safer betting $150,000 on.

That is what I was thinking.

Am trying to find a med school where my poor friend can go. She is just a tad below getting into a Canadian med school and most internationals are too expensive for her.

Nope. Leaving Canada to do a foreign medical degree with this mind set would be a terrible decision right now. Not only have we had a huge increase in the number of Canadian medical students over the past 5 years (which will likely result in fewer IMG spots), but American medical schools have also dramatically increased their enrolment leaving fewer residency spots for this traditional 'backup' route to Canada.

It is a very gloomy situation for those who are thinking of leaving Canada to do medical school abroad. I would recommend your friend to do some soul searching, and strongly consider doing a second degree (and knock it out of the park), and/or consider moving provinces to gain residency status where the cutoffs are slightly more favourable.

-jagiellonian med school in Poland is the cheapest and also has a good reputation. Cost around 25,000 $ (all estimates include cost of living and tuition per each year)

-Saba from the Caribbean is cheap as well, and they have had people who match to canada. Cost around 35,000 $.

-most other Caribbean schools: 30,000$ - 45,000$

and they have had people matching into competitive positions like UofT neurosurgery.

-Ireland has the highest chances of matching back.All the schools of good reputation.

most Cost around 65,000$ ,except RCSI (80,000$)

((but, Royal College of Surgens Ireland (RCSI) has a very very good reputation in Canada,in recent years it has matched twice into UofT neurosurgery.They also have established connections with Queens university))

-Australia is ridiculously far and expensive:

Cost: Flinders and Wollongong 65,000$. sydney and Melbourne 88,000$.the rest are around 77,000$

Why is Australia so expensive? high value of their dollor, high cost of living ( living in sydney or Melbourne costs minimum $20K /year) ,expensive plane tickets since it's far ($2-3K /year), expensive education since it's one of their main exports, they export a lot of education to southeast asian countries, another down side is chances of getting an internship (residency) in australia is extremely low for non-citizens (internship tsunami). ( cost of a can of coke in aus is = beer in Can; I used to live in Canberra )

I know 2 people from sydney that ended up going to US.

and this girl who is now doing family medicine in Saskatewan.

I heard now days most US citizens go to Queensland because they could do their clinical in NewOrleans.

I guess if you are spending over $80K per year, then you really can't afford going unmatched, so you should take any residency you can any where you can.

Few years back most people used to stay in Aus for internship, but with the internship crisis and changes in legislation you can't do that any more.

any idea what the match rate is for international students doing medical school in the land down under?

In Canada in 2011, the match rate for grads from Oceania / Pacific Islands to Canadian residencies was ~54% (25 grads matched out of 46 applicants).

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/43_IMGs%20by%20Region_1stand2nd%20Iteration_en.pdf

In Canada in 2011, the match rate for grads from Oceania / Pacific Islands to Canadian residencies was ~54% (25 grads matched out of 46 applicants).

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/43_IMGs%20by%20Region_1stand2nd%20Iteration_en.pdf

These are all (or 98%+) from Australian schools.

Further, the numbers posted earlier about cost in Australia are either wrong or simply generalizing the whole country based off one (or two) tuition figures. [university of Queensland has a special program for Americans where they do all their rotations in New Orleans. They pay more tuition. Canadians can't apply. But you have plenty of opportunity to do clinical rotations at Ochsner in New Orleans, just not all of the clerkship.]

Every international student that wanted an internship job got one this year, and there were leftover spots. Will this be true in four years time? No one knows. And if they tell you they are making **** up.

These are all (or 98%+) from Australian schools.

Further, the numbers posted earlier about cost in Australia are either wrong or simply generalizing the whole country based off one (or two) tuition figures.

let's look at Queensland: Cost per year

Tuition: 55,00 $AUD

Cost of living: Let's forget Brisbane is the 30th most expensive city in the world (Toronto 60th, New york 32th) and let's say you know how to live cheap and let's say it costs the same as Toronto for the sake of argument: 12,500$

Cost of plane ticket (with return) if you get it 3 months in advanced for the cheapest seat possible: 1500$

Cost of school supplies (or paying for electives during clinical years) and health insurance: minimum 1000$ AUD

Total : 70,000 AUD$ = 75,000 CAN $

SO your minimum cost would be 75K $, I said 77K$ ; sorry for that I guess!

Add another 10,000 - 12,000 $ /year and that would be Sydney and Melbourne

Subtract another 10,000 $ / year and that would be Wollongong and Flinders.

, also lets not forget that they say costs rise around 4% per year and they have a 3% inflation... So all theses prices would be even more expensive for next entry.

You can cover your tracks however you want, but your first post said 90000/yr. I don't think living expenses on the Australian dollar are going to be more than in Ireland.

Minimum wage is around 20 dollars in Aus. You can work 20 hours a week on a student visa during term (full time not during term), and make some money to reduce the load. And yes, you can work 20 hours in school if you need to.

Regardless, my post was just to inform people reading this thread that you high-balled the Australian costs and spread silly internet gospel about the intern places. There were empty spots this year...

For Sydney and Melbourne, it truly does cost 90K $

even for most other schools actual cost (like Queensland or National university) will be more around 80K $ If you look at the actual costs and not the minimum possible. And I didn't even mention little things like the fact that you need to travel more than twice for doing electives

Archived